Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new OBX 1 7/8 system in my driveway yesterday. Took about 8 hours and included a couple of breaks. I hate getting old! :crying:

Anyways, I have a couple of places where it rubs. One tail pipe rubs against the differential a little bit and it looks like the steering shaft rubs against one of the primary tubes a little bit (not sure if there's anything I can do about that short of a torch).

Is the system adjustable enough to where I could keep tweaking to eliminate the rubs? Or do I need to dimple some pipes etc. ?

I am already going to make an appointment to install some HFCs that I bought; perhaps the exhaust shop could do the adjustments for me?

I'm also getting a lot of sewing machine noise; I could understand that when I had a high lift cam with my GTO, but wasn't expecting it with the stock cam here...

·
Registered
348 Posts
some time what I will do on minor chafes and rubs is use a long bar(crow bar ) and leverage it against the tube and give a little pry ,, it normally doesn't take much to give it a little clearance

as far as the noise, yes it will sound ticky with headers ,, when I installed my kooks I did hear a difference but not bad at all

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
You can bend the arms the rubber hangers are on to move the pipes around and get the clearance you need. Also if the rubber are old and stretched out , they may need replacement. Loosen the connection when you do an adjustment. Retighten when you have it where you need it

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
Not sure if relevant, but another perspective on "dialing it in" ...

If you can grab a friend or two, you guys can all kinda loosen the clamps of the system at all nearly the same time (but not fully disconnected) and then you can maybe use that newfound "play" in the system to pull it around to gain clearance. Once you get it in a better place from where it was banging/rubbing, then have someone crank it down with you holding it with the pressure to keep it where it needs to be.

Then move around to the other problem spots.

Methinks you can get it done no problem. Good luck!!

-zep

PS -- I was spoiled by solo performance's shop back in the day, they have a bunch of drive on lifts, so it was much easier for them to build, engineer, and test various exhaust combinations on my test mule. I spent many an hour "trying on" the benefits of the next iteration as we worked out the details of the solo kits. Probably had 15+ different combinations of exhaust from engine on back! Was fun!

·
Registered
272 Posts
For the steering shaft rubbing, I would mark where its rubbing and use a hammer to massage the metal. Obviously, you would have to take the header off the car to do that but it won't affect the performance.

As for the sewing machine noise, that is one of the traits of headers. You might be able to lessen the noise if you wrapped the headers in exhaust wrap.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts