Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOUND CLIPS ADDED

Had a little mod day with my boy Dblaron and Tcorzett. I installed my new OBX exhaust. I needed to quiet down my pacesetter/solo exhaust as it was just too loud for my neighbors and my taste. Sounds sexy, but after two years it was time to move on. Back to the stock mufflers for the streets and I'll get a race muffler axleback for the track...

It is crazy quiet with the stock mufflers. At freeway speeds it sounds absolutely stock until I get on it!

SOUND CLIPS...

Cold Start...

Trust me this exhaust is super tame. Listen to this little drive by video. You can hear the intake but no exhaust when I rev it from the front of the car...

And finally a warm idle and rev. I was surprised at how loud it was at WOT, but at all other times it is deathly silent. Sleeper G8...

And here is my OBX system with My bullet muffler axlebacks...

Here is my creation. Yes it drones, but who cares:gr_jest:

Dynomax Bullet mufflers and my old Solo Tips

We used my old hacked solo exhaust rear axles back and two flanges to make the new setup...

The first startup with my cell phone recording...

And here is a Video of semi cold start with my DSLR which I used to record my stock muffler setup for comparisons sake... Frankly the camera does not capture how deep the tone is, and how impossible awesome it sounds. It just overpowers the camera mic :thumbsup:

Drive by. Sorry no WOT, just a spirited little burst...

So at idle it is no louder than my old Solo exhaust used to be IMO. It is much louder over 3000rpm though. Not straight pipe loud, but loud none the less. There is no rasp which is awesome, but there is drone at 1700-1900 rpms. That make your ear drums pop drone. Anything out of that RPM range though is fine though. This setup is only for the track, or the occasional car meet. It is pretty easy to stay out of the drone range as I have a stall and with the paddle shifters you can just shift to a lower gear. Stock mufflers are going to be on the car 95% of the time so this was just for fun.

*EDIT* Actually after listening to another cold start it is loud as hell at startup haha. Crazy deep in tone.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Barely cleared my Camaro 3.27 Diff...

The stock muffs are crazy restrictive compared to the rest of the exhaust lol. Can't believe how small the inlet and outlet are...

Of course I had to transfer my fancy tips over...

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Did you swap your exhaust onto dblaron's car? Also whats up with the challenger? What was he working on?

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Thread jack.......

Did you swap your exhaust onto dblaron's car? Also whats up with the challenger? What was he working on?
Nope, we thought about it but I already bought some JBA LT's and magnaflow cats and a magnaflow mid muffler.

The challenger is my sister in laws V6. My brother brought it over to plastidip the wheels.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am thinking about doing this setup myself, be very interested in sound clips as well..:)

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I am thinking about doing this setup myself, be very interested in sound clips as well..:)
^I'm sure it's quiet as hell with the stock axle backs that he has stated he is running for the street...

Yeti- that setup looks pretty sweet! I really need to look into doing the full 3". Its at least 15rwhp over a hacked stock mid section. What race mufflers are you looking into?

·
Mack
1,000 Posts
Nice work man!! Diggin' it. Looks like I'm about 2yrs behind you LOL. About to post some SOLO goodness myself.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Think its louder than my Solo axle back alone? I drive tons of highway and loud gets old over time.

^I'm sure it's quiet as hell with the stock axle backs that he has stated he is running for the street...

Yeti- that setup looks pretty sweet! I really need to look into doing the full 3". Its at least 15rwhp over a hacked stock mid section. What race mufflers are you looking into?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Think its louder than my Solo axle back alone? I drive tons of highway and loud gets old over time.
Im not sure. I know when all i had was solos, and I thought it was extremely quiet (not stock obviously), but very quiet. Do you have AFM Enabled? Maybe you are getting the obnoxious tone of the 4cy when cruising on the highway???

·
Registered
295 Posts
Im not sure. I know when all i had was solos, and I thought it was extremely quiet (not stock obviously), but very quiet. Do you have AFM Enabled? Maybe you are getting the obnoxious tone of the 4cy when cruising on the highway???
Yeah, I still have AFM enabled. I am thinking about switching back to stock mufflers to help when it kicks in. I actually like how the Solos sound at idle and such. I want a bit more doing WOT, plus I am going to put a maggie on while I do the headers.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I run the stock mufflers with the OBX kit and sitting inside it you might not even know its on. Outside the car it makes some noise but its not really noise coming from the tail pipes. Its like the sound is bouncing around in the pipes all the way down the car compared to the sound being killed almost immediately by the stock manifolds and cats if that makes sense. It does make a touch more rumble out the tail pipe than stock. When I romp on it most of the sound you hear comes from under the hood (both from the intake and the headers letting more sound escape than the stock manifolds).

·
Registered
295 Posts
I run the stock mufflers with the OBX kit and sitting inside it you might not even know its on. Outside the car it makes some noise but its not really noise coming from the tail pipes. Its like the sound is bouncing around in the pipes all the way down the car compared to the sound being killed almost immediately by the stock manifolds and cats if that makes sense. It does make a touch more rumble out the tail pipe than stock. When I romp on it most of the sound you hear comes from under the hood (both from the intake and the headers letting more sound escape than the stock manifolds).
Awesome thanks! I have cutouts on my TA. I have thought about that route when I want it more gnarly.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will get some sound clips up tomorrow nite.

I went to Infineon raceway yesterday to run with the super restrictive stock muffs and without a retune I pulled an 11.99 at +600 Da.! improved my best time there my almost .2 seconds. did that with a 11mph head wind on a notoriously slow track.

I have always run about two tenths slower there than sacramento raceway so once I put on some free flowing axlebacks it should run real good up top.

·
'Mod'erator
4,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
yeti, how do you like the obx vs the pacesetters in terms of quality and fit
Fitment on both are equal. No issues at all.

My pacesetters have held up breathing over the years. especially considering I daily drove them for two years. The coating still looks great too.

The Obx system looks really impressive in person. The merging point in the exhuast X-pipe is kind of Meh, but that is of little concern.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
I will get some sound clips up tomorrow nite.

I went to Infineon raceway yesterday to run with the super restrictive stock muffs and without a retune I pulled an 11.99 at +600 Da.! improved my best time there my almost .2 seconds. did that with a 11mph head wind on a notoriously slow track.

I have always run about two tenths slower there than sacramento raceway so once I put on some free flowing axlebacks it should run real good up top.
That 3" mid section is showing its true colors! I'm in need of this mod...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
895 Posts
Some GXP mufflers would work great with that system, nasty at WOT and nice and quiet stock cruising.

Your neighbors yard looks like crap, way to kill the neighborhood, haha.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts