Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OEM General Motors BT VCIM #20783877 - one of the three available that would properly work in a G8 with proper reflash from WAMS and allow addition of factory Bluetooth and OnStar integration.
Removed from a 2009 Silverado. Includes BT antenna.

Tested in my car (with mute wire removed) for a few weeks. Everything worked on it. I removed to install a Costar Bluestar II that I had found on the cheap. No bent pins or any damage. Stored in bubble wrap in box inside a nice dry spare room of my house for the past few years since removal.

I did NOT get it flashed by WAMS so it still needs the G8 programming and your VIN flash - which you would have to do the flash anyway due to VIN issues.

$200 shipped. Paypal goods and services

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Bump $175 shipped
Also, if the buyer wishes to pre-arrange a programming with Chris White, I will ship it directly to him upon sale to eliminate shipping one way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey I may be interested. Sorry for the dumb questions but what else is left to do after acquiring this? I know you have to send it off to be flashed to your car (around $125 or so) but was there anything else?

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I may be interested. Sorry for the dumb questions but what else is left to do after acquiring this? I know you have to send it off to be flashed to your car (around $125 or so) but was there anything else?

The way I understand it, that will be it. Without the proper reflash, the white mute wire needs to be removed from the harness. And there's a chance it can cause communication issues with other devices on the GM LAN. It's highly recommended to do the reflash.
With the reflash for G8 and your VIN, it's purely plug-and-play and works as designed but in the G8.

Be aware this requires NO OnStar subscription to use Bluetooth - only for OnStar services. Any more questions please feel free to ask, and there are a lot of threads on here about it too you can research.

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm mainly just looking for a connection between my phone and car for music lol. My aux dongle setup is ghetto.
OK - these won't work for music streaming (unless something has changed in recent years). Only allows handsfree calling profile - not A2DP streaming.

·
Registered
285 Posts
FWIW - no flashing is required to make this work for BT phone calls... only the mute wire needs to be snipped.

HOWEVER, if you don't get it reflashed, then your rearview mirror will always have a red light on and OnStar will think your car is something different. Other than losing OnStar services, which I don't care about AT ALL, and the light (which doesn't even seem out of place given all the red lighting in our G8), the BT functionality for phone calls is 100%.

For BT audio streaming from your phone, I highly suggest making your own rear aux cable and wiring it to a BT receiver and burying it behind the side of the console trim. I made my own rear aux cable and used a JL Audio MBT-RX Marine BT adapter. Plugs right into your rear aux cable, and then use power from the cig lighter and there are plenty of solid grounds right there as well. This way, it fires up automatically when you start the car and turns off when you shut the car off. Being using this setup for years now!

GLWS! May help to let people know that flashing isn't 100% req'd which greatly reduces cost/timing of using this.

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump

1 - 10 of 10 Posts