Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP Power Bumped to 415hp/415ftlbs
www.gminsidenews.com

The 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP performance sedan is done going through the SAE J1349 dyno testing, giving it its official horse power of 415hp, up from the 400 estimates when the car was first shown at the New York International Auto Show. Torque also gets a bump to 415. The G8 GXP will use a larger dispalcement 6.2 LS3 V8 engine from the Corvette, and yes race fans...a six speed manual transmission will be available for the GXP model along with the standard six speed auto trans. The LS3 is the third engine available for the G8 line up starting with the 261hp 3.6 V6 engine, a 360hp 6.0 V8 engine equiped with the gas-saving Active Fuel Management system.

415hp/309kw @ 5900rpm
415ftlbs/563Nm @ 4600rpm
SAE1349 Dyno Graph below
http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/2009/HPT Library/Gen IV/Gen IV Car/2009_62L_LS3_ Pontiac_G8_GXP_n.pdf
Thank You to B4Z for finding this dyno graph!

GMI Preview of the 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP from NYIAS

Source: GMI

·
Dog Diggity
1,001 Posts
But if it is priced wrong, it does not matter. We'll see, because the Camaro is going to give it direct competition.
Direct competition would be the M5 or (domestically) the SRT-8 Charger or 300C.

A coupe is never in direct competition with a 4-door sedan.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I agree, however I think the Camaro is dangerously close to over pricing itself for solid sales. The damn v6 is in the high 20s. That rediculous. I know its the caddy v6 with decent umph, but most people will go Mustang for that price.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
As I posted before, has anyone heard of when the "certified" HP numbers for the '09 L76 will be out? The site posted above only shows "preliminary" numbers for the L76, is it getting a bump up too?:dunno:

·
Sporting the GXP
1,468 Posts

·
Dog Diggity
1,001 Posts
The M5 is and $80k car. Now maybe the M3 sedan. at $34k

The G8 (4 doors) M3 (4 doors)
Depends on what your criteria are. One of mine is equal room within all of my choices, so the 3-series BMWs are out (besides, an M3 sedan is $60-$70K, so you're really not doing any better than an M5).

·
Registered
391 Posts

The M5 is in no way GXP competition, no BMW is. But the SRT8s are.

Still, I doubt the GXP will outsell them. In fact at the projected price floating around and given the G8's sales figures so far the GXP is going to be a tough sell.

That bodes well for those who wait and want to get one at a discount.

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
The M5 is in no way GXP competition, no BMW is. But the SRT8s are.
Yes, we know. Thanks for reminding us (for the billionth time).

TriShield said:
Still, I doubt the GXP will outsell them. In fact at the projected price floating around and given the G8's sales figures so far the GXP is going to be a tough sell.
Since when do M5s sell so many? At $80K, the true snobs buy those. At $40K, the true power hungry buy 2 GXPs. :gr_jest:

·
Registered
123 Posts
^^^^^ the camaro will take sales from the G8...G8 is selling as it is the first real size, good looking, RWD, real hp/tq from GM in a good while...Coupes (it started as a hardtop, shame it changed) are fun and the price, hp/tq more than the G8, will have exhaust sound, local mfg, being able to order, better paint etc...it will grab sales...both the G8 and the Camaro are a blessing to this crowd..

·
I chase paper!!!
1,130 Posts
^^^^^ the camaro will take sales from the G8...G8 is selling as it is the first real size, good looking, RWD, real hp/tq from GM in a good while...Coupes (it started as a hardtop, shame it changed) are fun and the price, hp/tq more than the G8, will have exhaust sound, local mfg, being able to order, better paint etc...it will grab sales...both the G8 and the Camaro are a blessing to this crowd..
A Blessing? Try miracle. Look real close guys, because the G8 is the last true muscle car we'll ever see.

Who knows how time will change. Maybe gas will go down below a dollar again, maybe theyll find another fuel source and itll be cheap and burn slow. All i know is that we'll be dead and gone by then, unless someone cares to take a swim in the fountain of youth!:p

·
Registered
143 Posts
R U nuts!

The M5 is far more superior in speed, looks and reliability and will not leak\guzzle oil..

SRT8 models are more realistic as well as the enhanced 550i coming in spring 2009 with a new 4.4 v8 with direct injection and twin turbos, 400+hp\440lb\tq and the E550, Audi A8, Lexus GS 460, IS-350 and the BMW 335i sedan.

You could do all bolt-ons and then possibly have a chance at keeping up with a M5 till about 80mph then that M5 will walk ya.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Not a little low, WAY LOW! If the same engine in the G8 will go for around $40k (with all the bells and whistles) a stripped version in the Camaro will not start at $25K. But nice try, even if a bit of wishful thinking!:wink2:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts