Pontiac G8 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
My radio doesn't go off until I open the driver door. It's called RAPP; it's a "feature". Power is retained until the Driver Door is opened, for your convenience.

--zep

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hey CW,

when did you start applying that patch you mentioned? my OVD report has not worked since i added in the regreened module middle of last year. It is one of the things i was unaware it would not work when i started down that road and really wanted it to work after i found out it wasn't working.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My radio doesn't go off until I open the driver door. It's called RAPP; it's a "feature". Power is retained until the Driver Door is opened, for your convenience.

--zep
Well then, I learned something new. So all G8's radios stay on when the passenger door is opened?

I never noticed it until a year or two after purchase. It kinda sucked if I got in the passenger side and used the radio while doing something (like in the garage). Would have to walk around to the driver door and open it just to get the radio off. (First world problems I know LOL)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Does anybody have the part number for the antenna needed? I purchased a box a few weeks ago and it came with an antenna, but it looks like a green chip attached to a peg, which fits into the back of the unit, but i figure that the casing is broken. Anyone have a picture of one for that matter?

Never mind this I found the part number - 15938939.

It seems that my antenna is missing the black casing.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts

--zep
Yes - this is how the radio is supposed to function. It stays on (for 10-15 minutes IIRC) until the driver's side door is opened. In a previous post I said that sometimes the radio was no longer turning off when I opened the driver's side door. However, this turned out to be a coincidence - it was the switch in the driver's side door that had failed, and $350 later, the switch has been repaired. I apologize for insinuating that the problem stemmed from the new VCIM - I made the statement simply because the first time it happened was literally the day following the installation of the unit.

On a side note - I took the car to the dealership to have the door switch issue troubleshot, because it got to the point where I was having to open/close the door dozens of times before I could get the radio to turn off. Apparently this is a common problem and the switch was backordered for two weeks before arriving.

Again - I apologize for any confusion - but my other issues with the new VCIM still exist - 1. cannot activate onstar (green light - tried once more after cancelling my old account, but I am thinking Zepcom is right - I haven't had the right tech on the other end yet, haha), 2. Sometimes the car automatically changes pages to my tire pressure instead of my digital speed readout on the dic, and 3. Sometimes the scroll wheel on the left side (to change radio stations, menu options, etc.) gets disabled until I scroll through the different dic options using the little highway icon button on the steering wheel.

As I stated before, I no longer have my onstar account since I decided Bluetooth is more valuable to me than onstar (and if I DIDN'T use the new VCIM, I would have pretty much wasted over $500 on a brick).

Have a great day guys!

·
LEERJET
35 Posts
Syvman,

I would personally like to monitor the progression of your case so that I can ensure a final resolution. Can you please send me a PM with your contact information so I can see what I am able to do to get this resolved quickly? Thanks, I hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Hello Jessica, I am about to acquire a VCIM box to be able to have Bluetooth in my G8 GT. Please update me on what procedure I will have to follow after having my replacement box regreened by WAMS. THANKS IN ADVANCE

JON IN MARANA, AZ

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Guys
Are these an option? Guy on ebay selling Bluetooth VCIMs with OnStar deactivated. Some from buick's, some from other GM vehicles. One on right now from a Silverado. The part number label has been removed so I can't tell if it is one of the 3 part numbers that will work for our cars.
Obviously if he's deactivated OnStar that won't work. What about BT?

I do not have OnStar currently and probably will never get it reinstated.
I wasn't even going to bother looking into this, but they are selling for $20 and the seller advertises it will work in any car that has OnStar.
Is something like this even an option for BT only? Or will it screw things up?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Just an FYI the boxes out of a Yukon hybrid will work as well. There were a few of them on eBay a week or so ago.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
Just an FYI the boxes out of a Yukon hybrid will work as well. There were a few of them on eBay a week or so ago.
Thanks for the heads up. I know the ones to look for are 25984444, 20783877, 20827036. They show up every once in awhile on ebay and occasionally for a good price. Those are important for retaining OnStar.

What about these BT boxes with OnStar deactivated?
Will the BT functionality work, or will it throw around all sorts of errors on the bus?
That is my largest concern - a piece of hardware that does not have the proper software to "talk" to the other components correctly...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I know the ones to look for are 25984444, 20783877, 20827036. They show up every once in awhile on ebay and occasionally for a good price. Those are important for retaining OnStar.

Will the BT functionality work, or will it throw around all sorts of errors on the bus?
That is my largest concern - a piece of hardware that does not have the proper software to "talk" to the other components correctly...
Bluetooth will still work with no onstar activated. Truthfully onstar is useless once you replace the box. They were telling me my vehicle was a Yukon hybrid and that there was no way they could change that to say it is a g8. I recently canceled it and Bluetooth still works perfectly.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not a user of Onstar and found a module that was sold as "FOR A G8" on Ebay. The part number that is on the Module - 20942557,, I sent the seller a message and asked for the Module part number but he never responded. I made a offer prior to confirming the part number (on the EBAY seller add it was not visible) Well once it arrived (Spent 60.00 including shipping) i thought well that was a wastE of money. It has Bluetooth but noticed there was no port for the ONSTAR connection. I followed the "cut the white wire" stuck it in and Bluetooth works (Will do more testing to confirm no problems)

You will have the red LED lite on the Onstar indicator on the mirror. Was able to pair the phone and make a call - receive a call as described in the owners manual.

According to the GM parts site this module also fits these other vehicles below. Roger

Buick Enclave 2WD 2011
Buick Enclave 4 X 2 2011
Buick Enclave 4 X 4 2011
Buick Enclave AWD 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE 2WD 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE 2WD ESV 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE AWD 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE AWD ESV 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE AWD EXT 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE Hybrid 2WD 2011
Cadillac ESCALADE Hybrid 4WD 2011
Chevrolet AVALANCHE 2WD 2011
Chevrolet AVALANCHE 4WD 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 1500 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 2500 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 2WD 1500 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 2WD 2500 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 3500 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 3500 Cargo 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS 3500 Chassis Cab 2011
Chevrolet EXPRESS AWD 1500 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 1500 Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 2500 HD 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 2500 HD Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 2500 HD Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 2500 HD Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 3500 HD 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 3500 HD Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 3500 HD Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 2WD 3500 HD Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 1500 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 1500 Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 1500 Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 1500 Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 HD 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 HD Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 HD Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 2500 HD Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 3500 HD 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 3500 HD Crew Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 3500 HD Extended Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado 4WD 3500 HD Regular Cab 2011
Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid 2WD 1500 2011
Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid 4WD 1500 2011
Chevrolet SUBURBAN 1/2 ton 2WD 2011
Chevrolet SUBURBAN 1/2 ton 4WD 2011
Chevrolet SUBURBAN 3/4 ton 2WD 2011
Chevrolet SUBURBAN 3/4 ton 4WD 2011
Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD 2011
Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 2011
Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 2WD 2011
Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid 4WD 2011
Chevrolet Traverse 2WD 2011
Chevrolet Traverse 4 X 2 2011
Chevrolet Traverse 4 X 4 2011
Chevrolet Traverse AWD 2011
GMC ACADIA 2WD 2011
GMC ACADIA AWD 2011
GMC SAVANA 1500 2011
GMC SAVANA 2500 2011
GMC SAVANA 2WD 1500 2011
GMC SAVANA 2WD 2500 2011
GMC SAVANA 3500 2011
GMC SAVANA 3500 Cargo/Passenger 2011
GMC SAVANA 3500 Chassis Cab 2011
GMC SAVANA AWD 1500 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Denali 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 1500 Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 2500 HD 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 2500 HD Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 2500 HD Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 2500 HD Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 3500 HD 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 3500 HD Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 3500 HD Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 2WD 3500 HD Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 1500 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 1500 Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 1500 Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 1500 Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 HD 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 HD Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 HD Denali Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 HD Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 2500 HD Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 3500 HD 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 3500 HD Crew Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 3500 HD Extended Cab 2011
GMC Sierra 4WD 3500 HD Regular Cab 2011
GMC Sierra AWD 1500 Denali 2011
GMC Sierra HYBRID 2WD 1500 2011
GMC Sierra Hybrid 4WD 1500 2011
GMC YUKON 1/2 ton 2WD XL 2011
GMC YUKON 1/2 ton 2WD XL Denali 2011
GMC YUKON 1/2 ton 4WD XL 2011
GMC YUKON 1/2 ton AWD XL Denali 2011
GMC YUKON 2WD 2011
GMC YUKON 2WD DENALI 2011
GMC YUKON 3/4 ton 2WD XL 2011
GMC YUKON 3/4 ton 4WD XL 2011
GMC YUKON 4WD 2011
GMC YUKON AWD DENALI 2011
GMC YUKON HYBRID 2WD 2011
GMC YUKON HYBRID 2WD DENALI 2011
GMC YUKON Hybrid 4WD 2011
GMC YUKON Hybrid 4WD DENALI 2011

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
I am not a user of Onstar and found a module that was sold as "FOR A G8" on Ebay. The part number that is on the Module - 20942557,, I sent the seller a message and asked for the Module part number but he never responded. I made a offer prior to confirming the part number (on the EBAY seller add it was not visible) Well once it arrived (Spent 60.00 including shipping) i thought well that was a wast of money. It did have the Bluetooth but noticed there was no port for the ONSTAR connection. I followed the "cut the white wire" stuck it in and Bluetooth works (Will do more testing to confirm no problems)

You will have the red LED lite on the Onstar indicator on the mirror. Was able to pair the phone and make a call - receive a call as described in the owners manual.

According to the GM parts site this module also fits these other vehicles below. Roger
Roger, thanks! Seller just msg back and said the exact same part number you listed above. Removed from 2010 Silverado
This is different from the recommended 3 for our cars but it sounds like you have had good luck with yours, how long has it been installed?

EDIT: I was just at GM dealer parts dept today for another vehicle. Had him look up 20827036 just for curiosity. Quoted me $247. That is for a brand spankin new VCIM! Not bad considering they sell on ebay used for over 300-400 and they are already VIN locked. I think they would still have to be sent off for programming but still, the starting price is good for a known NEW unit!

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of the ebay units just because I don't have OnStar, don't need OnStar, and just wanting the Bluetooth.

But last week I had an opportunity to get a 20783877 from a salvage yard.
Yes this is one of the three 'magic' p/n's for the G8.
With the BT antenna.

Thanks to OP (lvgmman) for the site and searching tips! http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=796713&postcount=1
www.car-part.com I have been scouring that site daily for local stuff. This showed up one day with the part number eve listed. A phone call to confirm and 5min drive from my work at lunch hour, and I had a module (w/ antenna). Can't beat that.

I had a chance to try it out this weekend before sending out for re-flash.
Plugged it in.
1st try: first time you press the steering wheel phone button, "Voice In" is locked on radio face and cannot be overridden. Unplug module to disconnect. I had read this on the boards already but tried for myself.
2nd try: removed white wire (did not cut, I properly clicked up the strain relief in the white plastic connector and depressed the locking tab on the brass terminal). BT works baby! And yes the call quality is crystal clear as ever with the excellent twin-beam microphone that our G8s utilize.
Experiment over, removed 20783877 and re-installed white wire and OEM module (GM# 25826599 for anyone who needs it) until I learn some more...

Can anyone confirm that if you DO NOT need OnStar capability, and don't mind the disconnected mute wire, is a re-flash REQUIRED? Or can I continue using this module with no issues strictly for Bluetooth and save a few bucks?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I was thinking about getting one of the ebay units just because I don't have OnStar, don't need OnStar, and just wanting the Bluetooth.

But last week I had an opportunity to get a 20783877 from a salvage yard.
Yes this is one of the three 'magic' p/n's for the G8.
With the BT antenna.

Thanks to OP (lvgmman) for the site and searching tips! http://www.g8board.com/forums/showpost.php?p=796713&postcount=1
www.car-part.com I have been scouring that site daily for local stuff. A 5min drive from my work at lunch hour, and I had a module (w/ antenna). Can't beat that.

I had a chance to try it out this weekend before sending out for re-flash.
Plugged it in.
1st try: first time you press the steering wheel phone button, "Voice In" is locked on radio face and cannot be overridden. Unplug module to disconnect. I had read this on the boards already but tried for myself.
2nd try: removed white wire (did not cut, I properly clicked up the strain relief in the white plastic connector and depressed the locking tab on the brass terminal). BT works baby! And yes the call quality is crystal clear as ever with the excellent twin-beam microphone that our G8s utilize.
Experiment over, removed 20783877 and re-installed white wire and OEM module (GM# 25826599 for anyone who needs it) until I learn some more...

Can anyone confirm that if you DO NOT need OnStar capability, and don't mind the disconnected mute wire, is a re-flash REQUIRED? Or can I continue using this module with no issues strictly for Bluetooth and save a few bucks?
I did exactly what you did, and have been running that way for almost 2 years now. Disconnected the white wire and just forgot about OnStar. I tried once to get them to "repgrogram" it, and they attempted to for like an hour before saying my module wasn't updating.

Either way, I never flashed it (re-greened it as they call it), and BT works flawlessly as intended (as far as I understand). No flash, no updating, no OnStar, no additional costs, but BT works great.

·
Registered
285 Posts
...oh yeah, forgot to mention: I got the module from a former member on here that also ran the same way. In fact, when he sold it to me, he also showed me how to disconnect that white wire and how to delete his cell & settings.

Worked for him, works for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First Post! :eek2:

Can anyone confirm whether Bluetooth streaming is supported with these modules? I know the Costar Bluestar can (while running a cable from the trunk to the rear aux in) but I'd love to avoid the extra cable running. I have no interest in retaining onstar functionality, but would love to add bluetooth.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts

Can anyone confirm whether Bluetooth streaming is supported with these modules? I know the Costar Bluestar can (while running a cable from the trunk to the rear aux in) but I'd love to avoid the extra cable running. I have no interest in retaining onstar functionality, but would love to add bluetooth.

Thanks!
Mike
BT streaming? Like for Pandora?

Maybe someone else can chime in, but im 99.99% sure that is not possible with these stock GM modules.

·
Board Lurker
201 Posts

Thanks!
Mike
BT streaming? Like for Pandora?

Maybe someone else can chime in, but im 99.99% sure that is not possible with these stock GM modules.
Hey. Welcome to the board. Coming from another noob (relatively at least).
I can confirm. No they don't. I've read it countless times on this board and others, and tried it myself yesterday. Sorry bud.

For the costar, their tech guy did inform me of an upcoming product that piggybacks on the OEM XM module in the trunk that would allow you to run that aux cord into that. If you have an 09 with XM you'd be in luck, or get your 08 upfitted with XM.
No confirmed release date for this. I know they were working on it though. I was holding out to see this before buying the VCIM but bought it anyways.
Still kicking the idea around but will be awaiting Costar's release of this. I don't want to rip apart my interior to run one measly cable.

I've got a whole other thread going on comparisons between OEM install or Bluestar.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65347
Keep your eyes peeled on the above thread for answers to future questions. You'll find the folks here are really helpful.

101 - 120 of 142 Posts