Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
The Pontiac G8, the brand's last hurrah before GM completely discontinued its operations, is now subject to recall due too concerns regarding the front passenger air bag module.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), the air bags may suffer from a possible delay in airbag deployment at the moment of a collision, causing it to fail compliance with federal standards for head injury protection.

GM aims to reprogram the sensing and diagnostic controls of the airbag. To date, no injuries have been reported as a result to the delay and malfunction.

More: Pontiac G8 Recalled For Delayed Airbag Deployment on Autoguide.com

http://www.syracuse.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/gm-recalling-38000-pontiac-g8s-over-air-bag-issue/c7fd186c5f0f44528b7d86530e89ca27

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
I really didn't want to let the dealer touch my car again!

·
Registered
840 Posts
All G8's recalled for Airbag issue.

General Motors Co. is recalling 38,400 Pontiac G8 models to reprogram the front-passenger air-bag module.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Saturday that the air-bag modules for the 2008 and 2009 models might not comply with federal standards for head injury protection.

No complaints, crashes or injuries have been reported related to the issue, GM said.

But the company found that in case of a crash, the air-bag sensor could be delayed and put some passengers at increased risk for a head injury. GM said crash tests found that the risk was limited but slightly higher for small women sitting in the front passenger seat.

GM dealers will reprogram the sensing and diagnostic module at no charge.

The G8 was manufactured in Australia and imported to the United States.

Detailed PDF:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCDNN-11V534-5404.pdf

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
how bout a recall for the friggin LCAs

·
Supercharged Moderator
2,419 Posts
I assume It's because the seat does not sense the weight of a smaller stature female to automatically turn the air bag on. I noticed this when I first got my car. My wife is very petite.

·
Beep Beep I'm a Jeep.
65 Posts
Can I just call my dealer about this tomorrow? Is there some kind of recall number?

·
Registered
737 Posts
does it matter when u bought the car? or where u bought it? i bought it used as most of us. so do u know when we should be expecting this letter. should'nt we all go get it checked out anyways to make sure? and SCREW GO SOX!! this next year will be a hard one!

·
Registered
8 Posts
But the company found that in case of a crash, the air-bag sensor could be delayed and put some passengers at increased risk for a head injury. GM said crash tests found that the risk was limited but slightly higher for small women sitting in the front passenger seat.
So three years later they figure this out. I wonder how many perfectly good G8's they had to crash test to get this info :(

·
Red Sox Nation !!!
2,665 Posts
I have a feeling it has to do with the seat scale. My son is around 35lbs, sometimes he actives the airbag, sometimes he does not. As he does not ride in the front, I have noticed this while it sits in the front seat while we are parked.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a similar issue with the seat sensor. When a heavier person is riding shotgun the seatbelt warning sign goes off but when say my 100lb sister rides with me it doesnt go off. So im curious about thia. I called to schedule an oil change for tuesday and they said there were no recalls so maybe they didnt get the message.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
so if the car gets into head on collision, anyone under 100 lbs would've died if they didn't have seatbelt on ?

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
70 Participants
Nu Jersey Devil
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing