Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've already got an issue with my wife not being heavy enough to turn the air bag on, at her normal 100 pounds. The dealer thinks they've fixed the issue, but we won't know until late next summer probably after she loses baby weight (due in February).

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
does anyone know what the fix involves at this point? my question more or less involves keeping my tune intact.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I assume It's because the seat does not sense the weight of a smaller stature female to automatically turn the air bag on. I noticed this when I first got my car. My wife is very petite.
I have had this issue, as well. Sometimes she'll shift positions in the seat and deactivate the bag. Yikes!

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've got the same problem. Sometimes the passenger side airbag light is on, sometimes it's off when my wife is in the seat. I was thinking about bringing it in on my own, but I'm glad this popped up. It will be free of charge for all of us.

·
go wings!
552 Posts
does anyone know what the fix involves at this point? my question more or less involves keeping my tune intact.
Thats a good question and I'd like to +1 that if anyone has an idea (as well as keeping VIM in tact...)

And no, I don't care about video in motion more than safety (lol), just need to figure out what I need to do to get back to where I am after flash :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
My neighbor called me last night, said he read about it in the Sunday AJC. Which is cool I need to get it in to the dealer anyway because there are a mariad of things I need looked at. 98.5K on the odometer. Oil pressure seems low,door striker pops,suspension noise, door lock issues and the cruise control has not worked since the brake light reprogramming. Not that I used it that much anyway, but my bad for not remembering to let them know that.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
The letter that GM will send...is that going to be required at the dealership? I would like to think that they're bound to fix any G8 that rolls into the dealership.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Whether you bought it new, used, voided/expired warranty, they have to fix recalls as long as your car has a valid VIN.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Whether you bought it new, used, voided/expired warranty, they have to fix recalls as long as your car has a valid VIN.
That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Working for an airbag supplier to GM, I can tell you that this recall does not involve the seat weight sensor. It only involves the airbag control unit (ACU). The unit is located in between the two front seats under the center compartment. The dealer will only need to plug into this module to reflash a new airbag firing algorithm onto it. So they will not have to take apart the instrument panel or plug into the OBD port, but maybe the center console to gain access to the unit It is pretty significant problem to have the airbag fire at the wrong time. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions anyone has.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Working for an airbag supplier to GM, I can tell you that this recall does not involve the seat weight sensor. It only involves the airbag control unit (ACU). The unit is located in between the two front seats under the center compartment. The dealer will only need to plug into this module to reflash a new airbag firing algorithm onto it. So they will not have to take apart the instrument panel or plug into the OBD port, but maybe the center console to gain access to the unit It is pretty significant problem to have the airbag fire at the wrong time. I'd be happy to answer anymore questions anyone has.
that is the info i was looking for! thank you

·
Registered
309 Posts
Luckily, maybe, my wife weighs over 100lbs! (Darn baby weight, as she is due in January.) If anyone gets a letter let us know. I may have to roll into the local dealer to have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Let me cover myself, I'd be very surprised if they go through the OBD2 port.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Any chance you can elaborate/confirm what they will need to disasseble to get to the module? I've got center console parts that, while stock in other parts of the world, are not stock to G8's. They mostly disassemble the same, but there are small differences. If they are going to take the console apart, I'd rather do it myself. Who knows if they would agree to fix my "non-stock" parts if they break.

·
Premium Member
1,646 Posts
I have had this issue, as well. Sometimes she'll shift positions in the seat and deactivate the bag. Yikes!
All you folks with light-weight spouses need to encourage them to eat more and the airbag issue will go away. :judge:

Who says obesity doesn't have its upsides, eh?

[yes, all of the above is meant in jest :D]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
@Dan1G8, I have read your post. Please, let me know how your appointment with the dealership goes with the list of things that you would like to have them take care of.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The dealership's fixing all Pontiac G8 vehicles with the airbag recall will depend if this is VIN specific.

I am happy to look up recall information if you would like to provide me with a VIN. Please, feel free to send this type of information via private message.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
@Atlasdriver88, please let me know the outcome of your visit to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I saw this on another web site:

"The flaw affects some 38,444 G8 models manufactured between November 2, 2007 and January 22, 2009.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am not sure what it takes to remove the area inbetween the bucket seats. But its located below the center bin just behind the cup holders. Usually there are two bolts down into the floor at the front of the console right at the instrument panel and two bolts at the rear of the console. I haven't had a need to take apart my center console and instrument panel so I guess that's a good thing.

21 - 40 of 129 Posts