Pontiac G8 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Long story short...I had the G8 in several weeks ago for some warranty work (when all this recall mess had been going on for about a week) and I mentioned this to the dealer. They did a search and knew nothing about it. A week later, I got the recall letter in the mail.

Got my recall done last week. Now the airbag light is flashing...and they wonder why we don't like bringing our cars to the dealer! I think they scratched my wheel last time too but I can't prove it. Back to the dealer next week...FML!

I had the same thing happen yesterday with the recall. I went back a few hours later and they checked it out, apparently from what they told me, the tech forgot the final step to finish the reset. Was real quick for them to fix. Sorry to hear about your wheel!! Thats also why I hate going to the dealership!! Had it happen on my old truck, on a 24" wheel.

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing. Dealer wants $90.00 just to diagnose the problem.

I think GM needs to step up to the plate and make this right for all of us.
It happened to a few of us including me, it seems that the tech's are missing a step during the reprogram as they don't normally reprogram this part, I turned around immediately and they were able to fix in less than 10 minutes by programing again, I would tell them this is a common problem during the reprogram and that they need to follow each step exactly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had mine in on Saturday for the recall, didn't notice until Sunday that the airbag light was on. Going to take it back in this afternoon after work.

What I find funny is that the dealerships also did a free 27 point inspection while they had the car, apparently this 27 point inspection does not include looking at the dash for warning lights. Derp.

·
Owner / Operator
427 Posts
Had mine in on Saturday for the recall, didn't notice until Sunday that the airbag light was on. Going to take it back in this afternoon after work.

What I find funny is that the dealerships also did a free 27 point inspection while they had the car, apparently this 27 point inspection does not include looking at the dash for warning lights. Derp.
Anyone have the procedures for this recall? I have the airbag light as well, and I'd like to find out where the tech messed up.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Brought my G8 in to Rancho Motors in Victorville today for the recall. It took an hour and a half(I was a half hour early). They asked if I wanted the complimentary car wash and tire air pressure check, to which I politely declined. The car was returned to me exactly the way I drove it in, clean, no dents or scratches, and the interior panels fitting perfectly. All in all, a very nice service. Looked at the SRX to replace the wife's Lincoln Aviator. I liked it, and will seriously consider it as a replacement when the Lincoln dies.

·
Registered
684 Posts
And now, with my 2 small dogs riding shotgun (about 35lbs worth), the right seat seatbelt light keeps dinging at me now! The weight threshold for front seat passengers HAS TO BE more than 40lbs...right?

·
Lance Corpsman ;P
89 Posts
I had the same thing happen yesterday with the recall. I went back a few hours later and they checked it out, apparently from what they told me, the tech forgot the final step to finish the reset. Was real quick for them to fix. Sorry to hear about your wheel!! Thats also why I hate going to the dealership!! Had it happen on my old truck, on a 24" wheel.
Same thing happend to me too the G8 to the dealer on the 23 and light would not stop blinking at me. took it back on the 26 fixed it in 30 minutes. Tech said he forgot to do the last step.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just got my G8, so getting the plain white envelope with bold red letters on the front from Pontiac freaked me out at first.

Anyway I just got back from the dealer. Took about 30 minutes to reprogram the SDM for this recall.

Painless fix.

·
2008 G8 GT
1,430 Posts
From my drive-in till I drove-out, 50 minutes and no airbag light on afterwards.

No problem at all, thank goodness.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
In and out in less than an hour. Didn't even have to use the courtesy shuttle this time around, I was stoked...:boink:.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
And now, with my 2 small dogs riding shotgun (about 35lbs worth), the right seat seatbelt light keeps dinging at me now! The weight threshold for front seat passengers HAS TO BE more than 40lbs...right?
I don't know exactly what the weight threshold is, but I've had relatively light boxes (15-20lbs) on the front seat and the DIC screamed at to put them in a seat belt. Needless to say, the way I drive sometimes, perhaps it wasn't too bad of an idea. :dunno:

·
Registered
444 Posts
My late Cocker Spaniel when he would ride in the passenger seat of my Focus, it would trip the airbag system and of course shut it off since he only weighed about 20lbs, it would occasionally do the same thing depending if he would sit up and look out the window or lay down, ding at me to have the passenger seat buckled. I noticed when I had a couple books weighing about 15lbs told on the passenger seat of the G8 it tripped the light and chimer to have the passenger seat buckled. The sensors are basic weight measures that if a couple pounds means nothing but when there is some weight the sensors trip the light thinking there maybe a passenger in the seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had my car in a week ago for the recall. Air bag light came on on way home. Brought it back, told them about missing a program step, checked it out, still on.

Beginning to piss me off. Been 2 days and they havent got back to me on it. My Inspection sticker is due this month to.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
funny all these stories of the airbag recall then airbag light after.

same thing happened to me, lucky only few blocks from dealer when i saw it. drove right back, saw the same techie outside looking at his car (suped up stang he races). he was cool, and redid the programming and voila - light gone.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Many thanks to Michelle @GMcustomerservice for picking up my post and contacting me and offering help.
It is my pleasure. Would you like me to e-mail or call you after I get in touch with the dealership on Monday? If you would like me to call; what time is most convenient? I am in the office Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm EST.

Michelle, GM Customer Service

101 - 120 of 129 Posts
About this Discussion
128 Replies
70 Participants
Nu Jersey Devil
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing