Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever ran pro one oil stabilizer in the 6.0? I have a buddy telling me its the best thing in the world for your engone and wanted to hear if it is good in the l76 6.0 im a little hesitant on running a oil stabilizer with valvoline full synthetic and the fram oil filter. If the oil stabilizer is a no go what are the best oil and oil filter combos?

·
F1rehawk
765 Posts
You shouldn't be needing oil stabilizer in a engine that is in good condition. I do run some Seafoam once in a while in my cars just for prevention and to restore compression if it feels a bit sluggish. Never needed to do that in the G8 though.

Any synthetic oil from major brands should be good. Someone on here recently mentioned that Mobil One was not the best for our cars. I personally use Pennzoil Platinum and I'm satisfied with it. Also for oil filter pay for one that comes with a bypass valve. Should be written on the box.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help i appretiate it i use the same oil but i need to get one of thoes filters. Not quite sure why they are better then regular oild filters.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
No a fan of additives or stabilizers.
The only additive I have used is Restore in an old Regal that had over 400KMs on it.
Seemed to help, ran better for awhile, gave it some pep, then again who knows.
I thought it helped....may have just been a placebo....

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Currently, the only oil "additive" I use is a General Motors crankcase cleaner that was last produced decades ago and it's pretty darn good. In the past, have used Lucas, Bar's Leak, STP, Seafoam, BGK, etc. and all made zero to little quantifiable difference. In my extremely humble opinion, most oil stabilizers and additive are some combination of snake oil or are simply used to mask an underlying issues(s). Five quarts of oil is expensive enough without having to add a chemical to help the engine better "perform".

·
Slowly gaining acceptance
419 Posts
Oil additives do nothing to a good engine that fresh oil and a new filter don't already do. On a worn out engine the most they will do is thicken the oil a bit and MAYBE react with an oil seal to temporarily slow or stop a leak. And even then it is just a band-aid

1 - 8 of 8 Posts