Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I'm planning on changing the oil on my 08 G8 (v6) next week and would like to get a look at a DIY thread or if someone could offer a quick walk through? If anyone can help with a walk through of the process, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
737 Posts
have you ever done an oil change period? id google it myself. buy honestly real easy run the car maybe 5-10 mins. jack it up. drain the oil. open the oil fill port. take off the oil filter. wait till all the oil drains out completely. check the plug bolt for any big metal shavings. After all oil is drained put bolt back in. tight is tight. Obv. tight enough so vibrations wont shake it loose. the new oil filter put a thin coat of oil on the seal of the filter and thread with your finger. install the filter hand tight and maybe 1/4 turn more... clean the area from old oil dripped on pan. put in the oil. install cap. start the engine. watch for leaks from drain port or oil filter. If all seems well after running for another 5-10 mins. take it off the stands Done! PM me with any questions EDIT.... WELCOME!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have been more specific. What type of filter do I need and where exactly is the filter? I've seen threads that have it on the bottom driver side and on top under the hood cover? Thanks!

·
Registered
737 Posts
damn now i feel like a fool to type all that out haha... search google or look in the v6 section... and use the search button. its your friend

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
Fill the new filter with oil prior to install. It is "in line" with the bearing supply, so an empty filter = an oil-less startup.
Also, I prefer to stick with quality filters (Wix, Napa silver/gold, K&N). Cheap filters do not have good anti-drainback devices and can allow dirty oil to drain back to the pan after shut off.

·
female, no 'bro'
295 Posts
prepare to buy a lot of oil. our filters are super tiny! couldn't believe it when i bought the new filter. but yea plenty of threads on here about the oil change and google is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Fill the new filter with oil prior to install. It is "in line" with the bearing supply, so an empty filter = an oil-less startup. Also, I prefer to stick with quality filters (Wix, Napa silver/gold, K&N). Cheap filters do not have good anti-drainback devices and can allow dirty oil to drain back to the pan after shut off.
The V6 models use oil filter cartridges not the traditional oil pan mounted filters. The cartridge is located near the oil dipstick. The owners manual calls for 7.1 quarts of oil, but between 5.5 and 6 quarts will get you where you want to be (mid-range to completely full). I was told not to fill fluids to capacity (max) in order to allow for wiggle/expansion room (use your own discretion). I typically hoover the various fluid levels somewhere between the max and minimum markings. For more informaiton about the cartidgies, see here: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45054

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. So the cartridge- I have to pour a decent amount of oil into there? How much? I was under the impression just a little bit to prevent a dry-start. Couple more things- what size socket will fit the bolt on top of the filter casing and is there a drain plug gasket on ours or no?

·
OGOC Member
2,646 Posts
No you dont have to put oil in the V6 just the V8 i cant think off hand what the nut size is.

·
OGOC Member
2,646 Posts
Because the filter in the V8 goes on the bottom of the engine and it needs to be filled first .The V8 one has a metal case and hangs off the bottom . The cartridge goes on top and its just a filter without the metal casing. The V8 will have a dry start till the filter fills up but the cartridge is on top and cant be filled. So no worries. You can do what I do and soak the cartridge for about an hour in the new oil to be safe. Oh and I went out to my shop and looked at the nut size its 23 mm or a 15/16" will work. the 15/16" socket will be a little sloppy or at last resort you can use channel locks just dont strip the nut

·
Premium Member
10,244 Posts
This is what the underbelly of my v8 car has, see the "blue"?

DIFFERENT than the V6.

·
Registered
893 Posts
have you ever done an oil change period? id google it myself. buy honestly real easy run the car maybe 5-10 mins. jack it up. drain the oil. open the oil fill port. take off the oil filter. wait till all the oil drains out completely. check the plug bolt for any big metal shavings. After all oil is drained put bolt back in. tight is tight. Obv. tight enough so vibrations wont shake it loose. the new oil filter put a thin coat of oil on the seal of the filter and thread with your finger. install the filter hand tight and maybe 1/4 turn more... clean the area from old oil dripped on pan. put in the oil. install cap. start the engine. watch for leaks from drain port or oil filter. If all seems well after running for another 5-10 mins. take it off the stands Done! PM me with any questions EDIT.... WELCOME!
Good explanation for those who may need it!

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
The V6 filter bowl cap uses a 1 inch wrench or socket to get the cap off and the drain plug in the pan is 15mm. Filter cap is under drivers side engine cover next to the oil fill cap if you have the 2 piece cover. I use the K&N filter cartridge in mine.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've never heard of the V8 needing the filter filled before install. There's still residual oil in the areas that are needed. There shouldn't be huge re-precautions if you don't fill up the filter. I've had my car for almost 2 years. No problems. Who have you heard from that this needs to be done.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Not required but I have always done the same thing. There is almost a quart of oil that has to fill then pass thru the filter.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
OGOC Member
2,646 Posts
Its always better to fill it first less chance of airlock and the filter holds about a liter or so once absorbed into the element.

·
OGOC Member
2,646 Posts
The V6 filter bowl cap uses a 1 inch wrench or socket to get the cap off and the drain plug in the pan is 15mm. Filter cap is under drivers side engine cover next to the oil fill cap if you have the 2 piece cover. I use the K&N filter cartridge in mine.
Hey bro I use a 23 mm or 15/16". 1" socket is too big and sloppy at least on my V6.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts