Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first oil change decided to try larger PF52, Was a little concerned with clearance, about 2 inches below pan.
Has there been anyone who has actually had one banged up or torn off???

I know it only takes one to justify but sure feel better with more filter area

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
On a different vehicle, I've used a longer filter that hung down an inch or two and haven't had any issues in several years. The G8 is a little lower, so it makes me a little more nervous. Any pics showing how it relates to, say, the bottom of the engine cradle?

·
F1rehawk
677 Posts
Any real advantage in using a larger oil filter? Never had an issue with the regular one.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Heard the larger filters provide better oil filtration especially for those with "extended interval" oil changes.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
A larger filter will hold more dirt before clogging. But with all the oil analysis reported for our G8s, I can’t recall oil filtration being a problem for the 10k mile oil changes that the olm has us doing for normal type driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rather than run a longer filter, I would (and do) just stick with the GM designed filter size and make sure you are running a quality filter of that size.

There are several videos on YouTube where guys have disected various oil filters from every brand you can think of to determine which ones are the best built from a materials standpoint. Most of these videos also cover the filter media, what it's made of, and how much surface area each filter provides.

Check some of those videos out. Choose a good quality filter from what you learn from those videos and you should be good to go. If you want to go way down the rabbit hole, checkout the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums. Those guys are crazy about all things oil related.

~Nugz

·
F1rehawk
677 Posts
Like the other users said, just chose one from a reputable brand. I personally use the Mobil 1 with the bypass valve. Reduced engine noise on startups...seems to be better for cars prone to lifter issues, helps with oil starvation...source was a GM tech who opened his own garage.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rather than run a longer filter, I would (and do) just stick with the GM designed filter size and make sure you are running a quality filter of that size.

There are several videos on YouTube where guys have disected various oil filters from every brand you can think of to determine which ones are the best built from a materials standpoint. Most of these videos also cover the filter media, what it's made of, and how much surface area each filter provides.

Check some of those videos out. Choose a good quality filter from what you learn from those videos and you should be good to go. If you want to go way down the rabbit hole, checkout the Bob Is The Oil Guy forums. Those guys are crazy about all things oil related.

~Nugz
Good Advise, Thanks

The filter business is a little confusing in IMHO.
I think only a handful of actual manufactures, the rest re brand them.

Been using AC Delco, should check out how it is rated, not just assume the quality that because GM makes it.
Or do they:unsure: HMMMMMM.....

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I use the longer PF63 of Mobil M1 212. Yes it is a bit below the pan But safely behind the front cross member. I'm not worried it can be hit. More filter media to hold more. Not worried about clogging, its the bypass and unfiltered oil. Like an air filter, bigger is better

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I've been using the Purolator 22500 for a few years. I hangs down maybe 1 inch below the pan. If you hit the oil filter with whatever you will tear up a lot of other parts before the filter.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well if you are a "stance-boi" then yes, you should be worried. If stock, then your fine-ish; unless you like hitting speed bumps head on at speed.

I don't really see the point of bigger filter. Just change oil more often, 10k is kind of pushing it honestly, I personally go for 7-8k. The way I see it is why economize on couple hundred bucks a year, when a new engine will set you back thousands.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thx
Stock ride hieght:cool:
My next oil change will be with the standard length filter............Wix XP @ 5k(y)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts