Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i bought my car the dealership changed the oil, couple months later the filter came loose causing a burning smell. i lifted the car and hand tightened the filter and noticed it was a mopar filter. i cross referenced mopar filters and found one that matches the ac delco pf48 for our cars so figured since i bought from a dodge dealership no problem. but two weeks later its leaking again so im a just change it to ac delco filter, I shouldn't lose more a than a quart of oil just swapping the filter right?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Should only lose .5qt or so. Odd that it keeps coming loose. Never had that happen after 1000+ oil changes. On these style engines, crank the filter as tight as you can with one hand. A pair of channelocks or strap wrench can remove it later. Be sure to put a little oil on the seal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good to know thanks, i haven't had a problem when i do my own changes funny the last two times my cars were done at a shop the filter comes loose.

·
every village has one
2,380 Posts
Be sure to fill the filter before you install it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I always prefil my filters. Amount varies depending on the angle of the filter as it goes back on. Wife's traverse is a total nightmare to replace with oil in it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I put a 63 on the Traverse.
Good. How do you like changing oil in it? I dread when a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave comes in. I just hate cleaning up all the oil that spills from the filter. Plus on 13's they added a wiring harness that runs across the top of the filter making it a PITA to get out.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Good. How do you like changing oil in it? I dread when a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave comes in. I just hate cleaning up all the oil that spills from the filter. Plus on 13's they added a wiring harness that runs across the top of the filter making it a PITA to get out.
Probably the worst vehicle I have ever changed the oil on and our old expedition was pretty bad. The fact that the filter is above the subframe and has a drip guide that guides it right into the frame just pisses me off. I've started taking it to the dealer for the $29.95 change because it's just not worth the hassle for me to get oil all over my arm and garage floor to save $5.

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
removal of the filter drains the upper motor supply line in the LS motors. It's a very good idea to fill the filter...

·
Car RamRod
1,795 Posts
ummmm k. While I agree that the bearings/rotating assembly in the LS is very robust, the upper motor (lifters, cam, DOD assembly) is VERY SENSITIVE to oil issues. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of sweat tearing a motor down...talk to those with cam/lifter failure. Since I cannot prove these failures are not caused by not filling the filter, it seems I will continue with this practice.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've had to tighten a loose filter after having an oil change done before as well. Of course, I've also had to stab a filter to get it off after a shop has done one also. Now they are all done at home.

I was taught at a young age to always fill the filter before installation. Even if it isn't necessary, it surely couldn't hurt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.