Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vaguely remember a post that discussed this before but can't find it:

I took my air intake off last night (LY7) and found quite a bit of oil sitting in it. Is this normal or a sign that something needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That's normal, and generally increases over time. You're always going to have some of it. You can do as suggested above, or you could just live with it.

Honestly, a very small percentage of people bother with catch cans, and most people are getting rid of their cars long, long before the problems it causes become real issues. We're talking LOTS of miles.

That said, it's like the difference between conventional and synthetic. You have to SEE the actual results over the long run to understand it... It's not THAT pricey, but you'll want to be sure to do your research so you can match the look to the function. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I removed my intake manifold and saw how the inside was coated in oil I bought a catch can for both cars before putting on a FAST 102.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all!

Looks like this summer I will be installing a catch can and doing a deep clean on the intake. This car has lasted 100k and I will do anything I can to make sure it lasts at least another 100k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Old School - here - like it implies ;-) better to have some in there, unless it was bad* blow-by (caused by crankcase ventilation problems) - worried about pollution control system codes ? I know.... it's not a 2 cycle, dip dip, wipe wipe and carry on ?

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
One comment, If you have an oiled airfilter that will also put oil into the intake. Just an FYI

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have an oiled K&N filter but it wouldn't put oil into the intake at the levels I am finding. I could believe a film of oil may show up, but to deposit an 1/8th cup of oil or so seems excessive for an oiled filter.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Wow that's alot to have in there. Hmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts