Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked and can't find a post about this leak. On my 09 GT there is a leak from the 2 bolt cover just above the oil filter. I surmise it is a cover for the deleted oil cooler lines fitting. Can I simply remove it, install a new gasket and replace it? Can't find an exploded view of this engine and hoping there is no spring loaded bypass ball valve under there that will come flying apart if removed. It is the cover above the filter in the first picture on this guy's post (link below - hope it's ok to share this link to another thread in this section) - thanks in advance.

https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-engine-tech-l76-ls3/131689-oil-leak-photos-looking-insight.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check your main cap cross bolts. Theres a hole right above the oil filter with a bolt in it check an see if it’s loose. Had a Tahoe with an oil leak a found that this bolt was loose and causing an oil leak in the same spot.

·
Grease Monkey
164 Posts
Yes, you can just remove and replace the gasket, no need to drain the oil to do it either.

I would also check that your oil pressure sensor in the valley behind the intake manifold is not leaking. Mine leaked and made it look like it was coming from that plate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This leak is back, again, 3rd time. Using new GM gasket each time. Used orange Permatex sealant with new gasket last time which lasted a little longer. This began after the DOD delete done by a mechanic - which included a new oil pump. Is there any assembly error that could cause excess oil pressure behind this cap?
Out of ideas so about to buy a plate with a port for an oil pressure gauge - at least then I can see actual pressure. Neither the mechanic nor I knew how critical new cam bearings are (looked perfect so he did not replace) so one or two of the front lifters tick - which would mean low op past the split cam bearing. For some reason I think these two issues are connected.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
When the DOD was done, has the pressure relief in the pan been replaced? If not, it's not a pressure problem as it limits the pressure for the VLOM.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Two thoughts
If you want to see oil pressure , many scan tools or apps will display it.
The info is there on the CAN.
Double checked just now with track addict.

When they lowered or re&re your pan, possibly the galley seals on the pan gasket were damaged.
A leak at the pan to block right at the galley could quite easily be mistaken as the cooler bypass .
As for too much pressure causing the leak it would more likely be a catastrophic failure.

My LS7 , in something else, will go over 110 if I accidentally rev it cold.
It never leaks.

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Recall which oil pump was installed? Was the condition of the holes, bolts, plate, etc. inspected prior to sealing things up last time? To the best of your knowledge, has the vehicle ever had an oil cooler installed? Personally, never gradated from Permatex ultra black gasket maker...gesh.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You are using the oval seal, not the one with two holes?
Be very careful with any sealer on there.
Those passages are on the "clean" side.
Anything inboard of the contact area of the seal has an express ticket to the bearing and lifters.
Mine cooler block off gasket is a black coated embossed metal one.
It went on dry.
20210708_183658.jpg
20210708_183702.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the input. I was careful with the RTV each time. Used the oval seal - metal covered in rubber - single use gasket. No oil cooler ever installed. Since you guys ruled out pressure I ordered a plate with the oval o-ring that solved the problem for some.
And no, the builder did not tell me if he modified the oil pressure relief valve in the pan. I don't think that would raise pressure but could leaving it alone cause low oil pressure?

·
Premium Member
7,445 Posts
Can also check the oil pressure by removing the sending unit perchance filter and attaching a manual oil pressure gauge as well.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I bet your original cover is warped. Improved Racing has a replacement kit. They also have billet ones to handle coolers or sensors

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
20210714_120342.jpg
This billet plate with o-ring stopped the leak. Doesn't look like it flows as much oil as the stock plate but ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts