Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on about a year left on my power train warranty and wondering what the consensus is on whether to have a very small oil leak fixed by the dealer. I am fairly certain that it is the rear main due to the block porocity. My fear is that they either could make it worse or cause another issue by dropping the trans and putting it all back together. I have a M6 with about 7500 miles. Thanks for any thoughts. Ben

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Mine leaks very little. I took it in a couple of times and the dealer was acting like he was willing to what ever needed to be done but I left it be. I bought the car with 8k miles on it and noticed it then. Original owner had the receipt of last service(its first) and it said 8.8qt oil. I knew then they over filled it. I've done the service on it ever since and with 8qt it hardly makes the pan wet were before it was dripping after I drove it.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
If your local dealer is good then i would get it fixed. It might get worse right after the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I am coming up on about a year left on my power train warranty and wondering what the consensus is on whether to have a very small oil leak fixed by the dealer. I am fairly certain that it is the rear main due to the block porocity. My fear is that they either could make it worse or cause another issue by dropping the trans and putting it all back together. I have a M6 with about 7500 miles. Thanks for any thoughts. Ben
Greetings Ben,

Indeed. You should definitely have it diagnosed sooner than later. I may be able to research some additional information pertaining to your vehicle. Feel free to PM me and reference this thread so that I may be of assistance.

William R.
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts
You should have it diagnosed. I was afraid that mine was rear main seal or block porocity, but it was just pan gasket. No leaks since. My dealer did a good job (and that's before I worked for them).

·
Grand Poobah
302 Posts
You should have it diagnosed. I was afraid that mine was rear main seal or block porocity, but it was just pan gasket. No leaks since. My dealer did a good job (and that's before I worked for them).
Agree and same thing for me, except mine was the oil pan. Once replaced, all was well.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I had the leak diagnosed and fixed between yesterday and today. The dealer did the crankshaft rear oil seal housing gasket and rear main seal. They had to drop the trans (M6). All sems well thus far. Time will tell, however. I did have one question for the dealer - did they change the oil also. It is not on the receipt but my service rep said they did. I guess since they didn't drop the pan they may not have had to? I will check the filter and see if it a delco one (I didn't use delco he last time I changed it) to confirm. If they did change it, they didn't reset the oil life monitor. Thanks to those who said have them check it out. I hope i can out this one behind me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got a chance to read the tsb and review the invoice. It turns out that the dealer did not replace the housing itself, only the gasket. The tsb calls for the use of a new housing, which I think comes loaded with a new gasket and seal kit. The parts list in my invoice indicates only the gasket and seal kit so I guess they used the old housing. I suppose time will tel if that was a good move. Note I do not honk my oil was changed. The filter is not a delco one and the oil doesn't look fresh.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Well my leak started at 16k I changed the oil and 4 days later noticed a small puddle on my garage floor. I pur it up on my lift and saw the pan was all wet. I found the filter was loose so I figured it was that. My local dealer thought so as well,but they put a trader dye to make sure. 4 days later it was at the dealer getting a new rear main seal. My local dealer was great they rented a car for me, called me to come see the repair before and after. And best of all the repair is warranties for life, so if it happens again I'm all set. Vehicle now has 23k and has had no further issues. As for the oil capacity, can someone confirm, my dealer says 9 quarts. Can this be true??????

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think its technically 8.8qts of oil

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
there is a tsb...if you search for oil leak rear main seal for LS3 it should come up; it is for many of the small block chevy engines from 2008-2010

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
I noticed a oil leak/wetoil pan after wiping it down a couple of times so the dealer put dye in the oil and luckily it was just the oil pan gasket. Thought it was a rear main seal. Didnt have to go any furthur. So far so good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts