Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
OGOC Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone refresh my memory on how to enter the performance mode where i can check oil life and that stuff cant remember

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Hold down the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the on/run position.
To re-set it you turn the ignition to the on/run position and depress the gas pedal three times all the way to the floor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts
can someone refresh my memory on how to enter the engineering mode where i can check oil life and that stuff cant remember
fify :)

·
OGOC Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok Thanx alot i forgot how it was done

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the way the book tells you:
Hold down the left scroll wheel on the steering wheel and turn the ignition to the on/run position.
To re-set it you turn the ignition to the on/run position and depress the gas pedal three times all the way to the floor.
The dealer tries to reset the oil life monitor this way and it didn't work. They changed the PCM and the new procedure is this;
Hold trip button down, turn ignition on, release trip button, hold enter button in (scroll wheel) for one second to reset. GUESS WHAT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!! Any help or suggesstions would be appreciated.

·
Ins-Z-G8-toR
3,315 Posts
It shouldnt be the scroll wheel. It should be the button next to it and turn the key to aux, and the option should come on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealer's notes (on previous oil change) states: Hold Trip button in (on steering wheel), turn ignition on, release Trip then hold Enter button (scroll wheel)for one second.. I get a "Service Reset No Items" indication on the DIC. A check back to the Engineering mode scrolling down to Oil Life shows no change in percentage.
Some one on this forum recommended turming the key to on pump accelerator three times with in 5 seconds then start the car that should reset the OLM. I will try that. Thanks for your suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I hold the scroll wheel down with my left hand and while it is down I turn the car on with my right hand. It's that simple.

·
Registered
143 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
As I read it, if the oil life icon turns on, you probably also get a nice little reminder in the DIC. The key turn on and the throttle pedal action is correct for a reset. I never let my car get to that point, so I've never seen the light. *But* if you want to see the reset take place (percent wise) which isn't mandatory, you have to go into the engineering mode first, and scroll down to the oil life percent remaining display line. Then perform the 3 throttle stab's (within that 5 second window). Should take no more than 3 sec. At the completion of the 3 stabs, you'll see that percent jump back to either 99 or 100 percent display. Turn the key off and done.

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Make sure your using the left scroll wheel on the left side of the steering wheel. I used it the other day to see my battery charge. To reset the oil life, depress gas pedal 3 times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks guys for your help. I will try your suggestion Gopherit. I just don't know why all GM products don't reset the same. This even has a good buddy of mine who owns a service station for the last 30 years stumped.

·
Nuclear User
328 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but is there any way to keep Engineering Mode on as a permanent option?

·
Move over >
1,445 Posts
I know I'm bumping an old thread, but is there any way to keep Engineering Mode on as a permanent option?
from what i have read this is on 09.5 models only.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
"OMGWTFBODY" ---- I've never read anything as of yet, that would allow you to display the engineering page at key turn on and remain in view, let alone get it to display while your driving along (unless somebody knows a secret). Until somebody can modify the circuitry to allow you to do that, you'll have to live with the factory designed procedure. Of course, once you dial it up, it will remain in view (while your driving) for you to scroll thru UNTIL you happen to touch the trip button. At which time, the DIC will revert back to the info supplied by the trip menu. An of course it defaults back to the trip page at ignition turnoff.
To bad to be sure. In my 2011 GMC truck, the circuitry was designed to allow for that very thing. I can call up that page (that has all that info) and look at whats happening in real time, anytime I want.

·
Nuclear User
328 Posts
Yeah, I was quite disappointed when I scrolled off of it and couldn't get back on the menu.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You can go into engineering mode and press the gas pedal three times and it will reset the oil life monitor. Sometimes when I want to check my trans temperature I put the car in neutral shut it off and restart it while holding the scroll button down. Then put it back in drive and drive normally while I'm looking at all the data that engineering mode offers. There is a bunch of ways to do it. Just told the scroll button down and turn the key there's engineering mode or you can just hold the scroll button down and start the car there's engineering mode if there's any other messages that Pop up ( low tire etc.) just hit the button next to scroll until engineering mode returns

·
Registered
10 Posts
Engine Oil Life Minder AND Remote Start Procedure

Hi Folks,

OLM -

Just want to comment on the OLM reset. I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 V6. All of the suggestions here for resetting the OLM do not work on the 2009 G8 period. From how they tell you in the owner's manual to aftermarket repair shops. The only way to reset the OLM on this vehicle is by using a GM scan Tech ll tool. This has been the only way to reset the OLM to 100%. My GM dealer as a courtesy to me will reset the OLM for me even though I did the oil change my self. The dealer has told me that on this year vehicle this the only way to reset it.

Remote Start Procedure -

If you read the remote start procedure for this vehicle, the tell you to hit the lock button ONCE, then hold down the Remote Start button on the key FOB for three to four seconds. Half the time this works and half the time it does not. I found by accident that if you hit the lock button TWICE, the horn chirps, then hold down the Remote Start button for three to four seconds the car starts every time even with the remote facing 180 degrees from the car from with in the house. I don't know why GM did not issue an update to this procedure.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hi Folks,

OLM -

Just want to comment on the OLM reset. I have a 2009 Pontiac G8 V6. All of the suggestions here for resetting the OLM do not work on the 2009 G8 period. From how they tell you in the owner's manual to aftermarket repair shops. The only way to reset the OLM on this vehicle is by using a GM scan Tech ll tool. This has been the only way to reset the OLM to 100%. My GM dealer as a courtesy to me will reset the OLM for me even though I did the oil change my self. The dealer has told me that on this year vehicle this the only way to reset it.

Remote Start Procedure -

If you read the remote start procedure for this vehicle, the tell you to hit the lock button ONCE, then hold down the Remote Start button on the key FOB for three to four seconds. Half the time this works and half the time it does not. I found by accident that if you hit the lock button TWICE, the horn chirps, then hold down the Remote Start button for three to four seconds the car starts every time even with the remote facing 180 degrees from the car from with in the house. I don't know why GM did not issue an update to this procedure.

Hope this helps!
Mines an 09 and the reset procedure works fine.

·
OGOC Member
2,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Turn the key to run position and depress the throttle pedal ALL THE WAY TO THE Floor 3 times and it should work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts