Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the news that I have the infamous Oil Pan leak...and the dealer told me it was going to cost a lot since they have to remove the engine. Is this BS? Since this problem is fairly common, I'm assuming many of you would know the cost to get it fixed.

·
Registered
264 Posts
sub'd as I believe I might be developing this as well.

·
Sarcasm Personified
3,900 Posts
I remember reading up at one point some people getting quotes around $1,600.

Don't quote me on that, I may be thinking of something else.

Edit: my response was for the rear main seal, my bad.

·
Registered
383 Posts
oil pan gasket or the rear main? if its the pan gasket it's an easy fix but if it's the rear main then you gotta drop the trans

·
Registered
179 Posts
If I had the tools laid out and the car on stands I think I could have the pan off in less than 30 min.......it is stupid easy.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
According to the service manual, what they told you IS NOT TRUE. Aside from disconnecting and re-positioning items as needed/required, they say the engine has to be raised 20MM (at the leading edge) to create the clearance needed to then drop the pan out from the car. From past readings on maint done (for various things), I know that lifting the engine that far has been done before with no problems incurred. Just don't have them get carried away an lift the engine to a point of smashing it into the firewall (which would probably then cause a fair amount of damage to a lot of things).

·
Registered
100 Posts
If I had the tools laid out and the car on stands I think I could have the pan off in less than 30 min.......it is stupid easy.
Agree 100% I'm finishing up a dod delete and oil pan removal is really easy. Remove bottom motor mount bolts, Use a floor jack and a 4x4 block to lift the engine about 2", place 2" blocks in between motor mounts and K-member, remove floor jack and the oil pan falls right out.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Agreed....and the dealer quote you rec'd is why we call them "Stealerships" in Aust.

I use an independent mechanic to do the work on my VE. A Holden stealership will never get their hands on my ride.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turned out that the front main and the oil pan seals were both leaking. So...I decided to get all gaskets - rear, valve, water pump...etc. replaced. In addition, found out that the clicking rattle coming from the right front, was the Pedders spring broken in two(!) places. Thanks to Rob for the quick turnaround on replacements!

And then, to top it all off, the strut mount bearings were shot so needed to replace those also.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
100 Posts
Did you replace the oil pan itself as well or just the gasket? Dealer tells me I need to replace the entire pan as it's "warped" causing leaks in between the bolts. They also say the pan is on national back order so it won't be available for at least a month...
Our oil pan is cast aluminum. It is very rigid not flexible like a stamped steel oil pan. I think our oil pans would crack rather than warp.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine started leaking at about 120k mikes. Cost 1,600 at the dealer. They replaced the gasket. I was told that it requires taking apart the front suspension and re-alighning. Pricing was by the GM book. 11 hours labor if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Are you still under warranty? The oil pan and rear main seals are covered. I had the oil pan seal leak and my dealership did it under warranty. They had to lift the motor a bit to do it. I think it took them 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No. I'm not under warranty. I have 150k on the car now. The tech checked the oil pan and it was in great shape. He then cleaned it inside and out as well as all of the other covers and sealing areas. He did a really great job on cleaning and checking everything. I afterwards took the car to the local spray wash and cleaned the entire engine bay to get all of the leftover residue off. Looks great now.

Yes....The dealership said that they had to remove the oil pan following the book as they didn't want to create problems or take risks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
The oil pan can be done in two hours. My rear main was seeping too. The trans had to come out for that. Fixed that around 60k when I put my stall in

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Gotcha.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Damn. Doing an oil change on my car and there's oil leaking around the filter. Which seal would that be?

Update, could this have been caused by a loose filter? It was less than finger tight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts