Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first year with the car - stored it for the winter. Over the course of 5 months it leaked a dime-sized spot of oil, but the seepage underneath looks pretty worrisome:

So to me this looks like the oil pan. I am starting to tear down the motor down for a cam swap and the front seal is not leaking. Is this typical? I've seen many more people have a rear main seal leaking, and maybe I have that too. But this is crazy! 26K miles....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Mine looked the same way after hibernating this winter. Are you gonna pull the pan and replace the gasket when you do the cam swap?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
9 times out of 10 leakage from the rear like that is from the cooler block off plate above the filter. The front of the pan being wet in another thing though. Most likely the front crank seal. Both should be under power train warranty. Do not clean it off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Might as well do the pan gasket when you do the cam, not much more work at that point. I went ahead and did mine at the same time too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the same leak, but can't quite locate the source. GM dealer said its probably a rear main seal and required the front cradle to be lowered, which they quoted at 6.5 hours labor.
I'm hoping its just a pan gasket or the block off leaking. I hate the dealer having my car over night. I dropped my '06 GTO off a couple years back, which needed to stay over night. I decided to go in early the next morning and wait for it to be finished. As I was on my way in, it passed me at about 70mph and needless to say, when I showed up at the dealership, caught hell for the way the young mechanic was driving my car. Short version of the story. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My GXP had the pan gasket replaced under warranty at 34 months and 15k miles so it definitely could be the pan.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Mine is in the air at the dealer as we speak. My mechanic thoughr it was the rear main seal. The dealer told me its the oil pan seal and they will need it for a day. They said they gotta take the motor out. Thank god its covered under warranty.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah there's no way the rear main seal could get oil that far forward. And it's definitely not the front seal. Just seems CRAZY that the oil pan gasket could be that bad from the factory. I will be replacing the oil pan gasket as part of the cam swap - I was under the impression you had to drop the oil pan to get the front cover off anyway....

Thanks aussiek2000 I will look for that block off plate above the filter....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looks just like my 08 did. Took it to the dealer as the warranty was close to running out(with only 19k miles). Ended up being pan gasket. All good now

·
understeer
213 Posts
Check the bolts that fasten the pan to the block. I had similar leakage all the way around my pan and we found 2 bolts on thr passenger side were loose. As in 1 full turn to tight plus torque down. I did a wipe and will reevaluate in the next few weeks when I get around to an oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Got mine back today. All good. No more oil pan seal leakage for me .

·
Registered
328 Posts
I just had my oil pan gasket replaced under warranty too.

·
Registered
366 Posts
mine had a leak too

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Check the bolts that fasten the pan to the block. I had similar leakage all the way around my pan and we found 2 bolts on thr passenger side were loose. As in 1 full turn to tight plus torque down. I did a wipe and will reevaluate in the next few weeks when I get around to an oil change.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
found the same thing with mine. After the dealer replaced the rear main, I noticed some leaking around the pan. Turns out they didn't tighten the bolts back down

·
Spaycace
151 Posts
I just recently had a cam swap done at the dealership, and I noticed the same type of leakage down the pan. The tech was able to cover the oil pan gasket replacement under the powertrain warranty. I never noticed any oil on the garage floor, but there was definitely a small leak!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I have the same leak, but can't quite locate the source. GM dealer said its probably a rear main seal and required the front cradle to be lowered, which they quoted at 6.5 hours labor.
I'm hoping its just a pan gasket or the block off leaking. I hate the dealer having my car over night. I dropped my '06 GTO off a couple years back, which needed to stay over night. I decided to go in early the next morning and wait for it to be finished. As I was on my way in, it passed me at about 70mph and needless to say, when I showed up at the dealership, caught hell for the way the young mechanic was driving my car. Short version of the story. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Hello madmax. Keep us updated on what happens with the dealership and if you get your vehicle repaired. If you need anything, please let me know if I can assist you.
Jennifer T,
GM Customer Care Service

·
Registered
287 Posts
Thank you Jennifer, I surely appreciate that. I'm going to crawl up under the car today after work and physically check all the pan bolts, and see if that may be the problem. Seems too simple of a fix, but it's worth a look. I've noticed that the leak is intermittent. It leaked last fall just before storage, and I noticed it leaked during. But so far this spring, after driving it a couple times, it leaked once and hasn't leaked since but maybe a drop or two. Very strange. I would think if it's a bad main seal or pan gasket, it would leak all the time? I'll keep ya'll posted.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I believe mine has just now started this. It's due for an oil change. I may shine a light under mine tonight to see where it's coming from. I'd hate to change my oil this weekend and find out I need to have this done and waste and oil change.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, believe it or not, I had laid a large piece of cardboard up under the car for the past week, and was able to pin point the general sight of the leak. Once I jacked up the car and crawled up under the car and found the spot directly above the oil soaked cardboard, reached up and grabbed the soaked oil filter, and cleaned it off, and then turned it by hand easily 1 1/2 full turns, before it even got snug. Wow!! I can't believe it, but relieved as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts