Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is a case of changing to many things as once, but i had an oil pressure sensor go out. so i went ahead and replaced it, did the dod delete, cam swap and Melling high pressure pump.
after all that my gauge is reading lower then it was before. when cold it would be close to the 4bar mark. but now no matter what it hovers at the 3 and one lower then 3 once its warm. i never logged it prior to doing all this. but now in the logs it at 51psi cold at idle. and 38 or so when its warm. that seems like plenty.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Your replacing the pump solved all the major problems an LS has. Did you add a bracket to use two bolts for the pick up? Using 2 bolts stabilizes the pick up and extends the O ring life.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
What brand is the oil pressure sensor replacement although it could be a moot point?
...For those with atari guages, 5 bars is about 50 psi, 4 bars is about 40 psi, 3 bars is 35-28 psi, 2 bars is 15-20psi, and 1 bar is around 15 psi. 35 psi at idle is normal. 15 psi at idle indicates wear or another problem.

Reactions: Jeff92se

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i thought it was ac delco, but i looked and its TeileHaus
not sure why i bought that lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your replacing the pump solved all the major problems an LS has. Did you add a bracket to use two bolts for the pick up? Using 2 bolts stabilizes the pick up and extends the O ring life.
only one bolt on the pickup.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
At the very least, would replace with a reputable (recognized) brand.

Reactions: blkchevyz

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
".For those with atari guages, 5 bars is about 50 psi, 4 bars is about 40 psi, 3 bars is 35-28 psi, 2 bars is 15-20psi, and 1 bar is around 15 psi. 35 psi at idle is normal "
mine seems off, or just wont go past 3bar on the gauge, vs what hptuners says.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At the very least, would replace with a reputable (recognized) brand.
yeah i'm going to replace it. i feel like i got a bait and switch when i ordered it.
i assume the gauge and the computer uses the same sensor correct?

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
...i assume the gauge and the computer uses the same sensor correct?
Believe so. Are you using a different and/or thicker weight oil?

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
Correct. Don't recall anyone replacing the sensor due to deleting the demand on displacement feature.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Did you replace the filter that is under the oil pressure sensor. That one plugged up will make your gauge read wrong

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Ok then it’s not that. If you Now have 51 psi cold and 38 psi hot. That is good.
It’s when you have 20 psi hot is when there are big problems ahead.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hard to see but 37psi, and the gauge is reading 2.5. i'll replace the sensor and see if that does anything. its making me nervous because after 10 minute drive it dropped to 2 a few times. but i didnt have anything logging it to see what the computer seen.

gauge.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
For piece of mind and/or reassurance, remove the sensor and hook up a manual oil pressure gauge for a more accurate reading. Did you replace the parts referenced above yourself?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For piece of mind and/or reassurance, remove the sensor and hook up a manual oil pressure gauge for a more accurate reading. Did you replace the parts referenced above yourself?
yeah i did it myself.
ill see if i can rent a manual gauge, and check it when i swap the sensor for an ac delco.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
If there is only one sensor for oil pressure, which reading is correct? There is no guarantee that the app is correct. An aftermarket sender, might be off? If there is a parts store that lends tools, see if you can borrow an oil pressure gauge. I’m just getting ready to send off an Atari gauge to WAMS to be reprogrammed. I will ask if there is any calibration he can do. I would want to know the gauge is accurate. Not just see if it’s high or low.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
".For those with atari guages, 5 bars is about 50 psi, 4 bars is about 40 psi, 3 bars is 35-28 psi, 2 bars is 15-20psi, and 1 bar is around 15 psi. 35 psi at idle is normal "
mine seems off, or just wont go past 3bar on the gauge, vs what hptuners says.
Okay you got me curious. On cold start, oil pressure went to 6 bars, Then when put in gear cold, 5 bars. When warm and at idle, it's like 4-5 bars. But I'd expect this given what I had just got done

If bars mean what you say here, then what is the 1 - 3 -5 marks on the Atari guage?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
bar to psi - Google Search - this is the 1 3 5 above the gauge (14.5 43.5 72.5)

looking at post 15 is 4 marks 36.5psi which is also on the phone display

Reactions: Jeff92se
1 - 20 of 39 Posts