Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
@ Jeff92se He was referencing post number three which was quoted from a different thread.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Was looking up the pump I got, says it’s not made for dod/afm cars because they require higher pressure. of course I don’t have dod anymore but was the stock pump a higher pressure one than what I got 10296.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Melling High Volume Oil Pump- PT# 10296
Melling High Pressure Oil Pump- PT# 10295

Did retain the relief valve in the oil pan?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I didn’t remove anything from the pan, so I guess so. That a bad thing? I thought as long as I had the non dod valley tray I didn’t have to block anything off.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The pan relief valve is supposed to limit the pressure the LVOM see to 65 psi. It was back up for the spring in the pump. The 295 pump is for stock engines/trucks. The 296 pump is the high performance engine pump. The M365 or 10355 is the highest volume for DOD. The LSA also used the DOD oil pump to give the volume needed for the piston squirters.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Would first check the oil pressure with a manual gauge prior to replacing the oil pressure sensor and go from there.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
i'm just going to replace it since i have to pull it out anyway, i hate using cheap china crap lol

unless their is an easier place to access oil pressure than where the sensor is.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
It your choice, I wouldn’t pull the pan just to do that. Your bypass in the pump starts to open first at around 52 to 55 psi. The one in the pan is a back up to make sure the LVOM doesn’t get hit with a spike of cold oil and blow seals. Unless you have an oil consumption problem that the PCV system sucks in too much oil. No read need to remove it.

Reactions: blkchevyz

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Generally speaking, AcDelco GM genuine/original equipment parts line is better than the professional line. Typically, steer clear of much of the rubbish sold by many of the third party sellers on Amazon.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
new sensor did the same. so i'm wondering if my old sensor was a dummy type... where it doesnt move much unless its a drastic change...
i'm still seeing plenty of oily pressure so i guess i wont worry about it.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
Did the same as in identical oil pressure readings? Were you able to verify the readings with a manual gauge?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Did the same as in identical oil pressure readings? Were you able to verify the readings with a manual gauge?
yeah same oil pressure readings both via the scanner and the gauge. i wasnt able to find a manual gauge locally so i didnt test it that way.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Yes they will always be the same. The scanner and the gauge are both getting the signal from the same sender. Either borrow a manual gauge or buy a quality sender unit. The fact they were the same means the gauge is working well. Just save the time and buy a new sender

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
just get one of the sockets for it, its very easy. the hardest part was getting the connector off of it.

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
I can tell you for a fact----- After finding out how dificult it was to replace that oil pressure sensor an filter on my son's GMC 5.3 engine, that replacing that sensor (an the filter below it if also done), is super easy on the G8 V8 engine.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Buy or borrow a 1 1/16” deep socket. A big screw or a pick to get the filter out. If you can change a spark plug, you can do this.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts