Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my car back from the shop today for head gasket replacements and a bunch of other seals and gaskets. I drove the car to and from work and everything ran great. I get in the car about 30 min ago for a night drive with the girlfriend and I notice my oil pressure is at 0 at idle. As soon as I give it gas the bars start to increase But at idle it sits at 0. The engine temp is fine and my the oil level is fine. I took it around the block and the oil pressure increases accordingly as I keep on the throttle. I let off the gas around 50mph and just glided and the pressuRe went down to 1 bar. Anyone know what's going on? No CEL, or weird noises either.

·
Registered
316 Posts
So I just got my car back from the shop today for head gasket replacements and a bunch of other seals and gaskets. I drove the car to and from work and everything ran great. I get in the car about 30 min ago for a night drive with the girlfriend and I notice my oil pressure is at 0 at idle. As soon as I give it gas the bars start to increase But at idle it sits at 0. The engine temp is fine and my the oil level is fine. I took it around the block and the oil pressure increases accordingly as I keep on the throttle. I let off the gas around 50mph and just glided and the pressuRe went down to 1 bar. Anyone know what's going on? No CEL, or weird noises either.

Was this happening before the repairs?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. Seems to just be the oil guage after repairs

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took it into the shop and had it hooked up to read the oil pressure. It was saying around 7.5-8 PSI but still no bar at idle. They changed the oil and filter and it seemed to fix the issue until I was stopped at a light just down the street from the shop and the pressure gauge read 0. It still drives and sounds fine so we ordered a new sensor and going to install it Monday to see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There's a filter under the oil pressure sensor that can get clogged with debris, might want to check that out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I over herd them say put a new oil filter in along with the oil change they did

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I'm quite sure "G8One2" is referring to a *tiny metal mesh* debris filter that is installed below the oil pressure sensor itself. I saw a member post a GM information sheet stating that when any oil pressure sensor is replaced, that mesh filter should be pulled out and cleaned. If unable to clean properly, it would be advisable to instal a new filter (an I think a new 'O' ring) in the recess, prior to installing the new oil psi sensor.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll mention it to my shop on Monday. Thanks for the responses. Do you think I should be fine to drive it lightly till then? Work and school

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
I think you should be fine but dont know if I would risk it. But maybe a bad sensor. Also do you see any oil leaks around the engine? Where the repairs were done. Could be a clog since they had the heads off,maybe something fell it near the sensor.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just an FYI.... There is also a oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan that can cause you issues if it gets debris caught in it, or is defective.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, couldn't see any oil leaks. I took yesterday after I got the oil change because they forgot to fill my coolant up all the way and they didn't notice anything either of the time I was there

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
It seems to be pointing to a plug somewhere. But I could be wrong. If its at 0 at idle and not knocking must be obstruction . You should get an oil pressure test done.

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
Here (all along) I'm thinking V8, when in fact this problem is with a V6 engine. I see that engine uses a complete bolt on (to the engine) adapter assembly, that houses an internal oil filter, psi sensor, regulator, pressure relief, etc. I myself, would have to do some more reading about possible oil pressure problems with this type of engine (my error).

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
Here (all along) I'm thinking V8, when in fact this problem is with a V6 engine. I see that engine uses a complete bolt on (to the engine) adapter assembly, that houses an internal oil filter, psi sensor, regulator, pressure relief, etc. I myself, would have to do some more reading about possible oil pressure problems with this type of engine (my error).
No worries my friend.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems to be pointing to a plug somewhere. But I could be wrong. If its at 0 at idle and not knocking must be obstruction . You should get an oil pressure test done.
I had it hooked up at the shop to read the psi as it was running. Idle showed 8psi he said and as he increased on the throttle the psi steadily climed. It also held pressure when he kept on the gas at a constant rpm. I have to wait until autozone opens to get another pressure test done

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just go back from pep boys. They hooked my car up to their scanner and it was reading a stead 9-9.5psi. looks like it will be the sensor since two different tests showed I was just fine at idle as far as my oil pressure goes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With less than 10psi at idle, it would seem to me that there is a problem somewhere. I would expect 25+ psi
For the 3.6L, GM recommends a hot idle of around 10 PSI

1 - 20 of 20 Posts