Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up an oil pressure gauge install (AEM) I ended up using a oil cooler blockoff plate with a port for the sensor. I have a mismatch between the aem sensor and the OEM sensor the ecu sees. Looking at oil pressure through OBD its ~25ish psi warm idle while the aem reads ~40psi warm idle. Is this normal? I wouldnt imagine 20psi of oil pressure would be lost in the distance of the 2 sensors. I also noticed that the pressure seems to hit a wall when accelerating. It will rise with rpm as normal until it hits around 50psi (which is roughly 3000rpm in my case) at 4000, 5000rpm it is still around 50psi. Is this normal? Thanks

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't recall the exact pressure but around 50-55psi is where oil goes into bypass. I'd have to plug in my OBD reader to know what my normal warm idle pressure is, can try to get that this weekend.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't recall the exact pressure but around 50-55psi is where oil goes into bypass. I'd have to plug in my OBD reader to know what my normal warm idle pressure is, can try to get that this weekend.
interesting, would it not be an issue at high rpm say at redline 6000 to have less than 60psi? Ive always went by 10psi per 1k rpm as the golden rule.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had always heard that theory as well, hate not having a dedicated gauge on the dash like my 99 Silverado does. In my truck I hit full oil pressure at basically anything above 1500rpm. You do see a little spike when accelerating hard, but it doesn't really go past 60psi unless the oil is still cold. Guessing it must not be an issue anymore since we are getting 40+ at idle now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts