Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flying at low altitude
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice in the sales brochure and in the Edmunds First Look both mention that the G8 has an Oil Temperature Gauge?

So does that mean the temperature gauge in the instrument cluster (the left gauge) is for oil temp instead of water temp? Oil temp is better IMO, however, that is very unusual.

The oil gauge in the center stack LED display appears to be pressure in bars, so the only thing left is that left gauge.

Maybe a few members from Oz can chime in on this.

thanks!

·
US Ute whore
1,801 Posts
Looks like it should be water temp. I looked at my brochure & they don't list water temp. That's more important than oil temp.

·
Registered
148 Posts
timbrie

I just checked out a red GT at a dealer north of Pittsburgh. It has the sport package, but no moonroof. Sticker shows $34,850 with the $3,000 premium for "1 of 888." (Get real.)

The oil pressure / battery voltage display is cheap and distracting, and you can't turn it all the way off with the dash dimmer. Does anyone know if this can be disabled?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just checked out a red GT at a dealer north of Pittsburgh. It has the sport package, but no moonroof. Sticker shows $34,850 with the $3,000 premium for "1 of 888." (Get real.)

The oil pressure / battery voltage display is cheap and distracting, and you can't turn it all the way off with the dash dimmer. Does anyone know if this can be disabled?
I just covered mine over with some black card and stuck a 6.0 Litre V8 badge on it as I'm running my gauges in a binnacle on top of the dash with analogue gauges...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like it should be water temp. I looked at my brochure & they don't list water temp. That's more important than oil temp.
FYI - It is possible to have normal water temps, but the oil still be too cold. Thinking about it now I wonder if it even has an oil cooler?

Just give us both gauges! :driving:

It advantageous for us track junkies to know the oil temps when blasting around the track during the summer when it's a zillion degrees out. :eek2:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Agreed. ^

The more information you have on hand the better.

Wishing every car on the market had more of these basic things. It can actually prevent a lot of things... Oil pressure is a good thing to keep an eye on too.

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is a LOT of information kept in the ECM if you can get it displayed. For example, listed in the AFM description of parameters considered by the on/off circuit for deactivation of 4 cylinders are these in addition to the things we all know:

Engine manifold vacuum
Brake booster vacuum
Ignition voltage
Engine oil pressure and temperature
HVAC heater temperatures
Engine metal temperature
Catalytic converter temperature

It also monitors transmission temperature and engine oil aeration (?) as well as all the usual engine functions for emissions control. A scanner, of course, will extract all of this stuff, so there should be a way to have it displayed on digital gauges of some sort. This is also probably why Pontiac choose the red-orange gauges rather than going through the more expensive digital to analog conversion that Holden uses. Remember, also, what our Aussie friends are paying for essentially the same car. :)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I just covered mine over with some black card and stuck a 6.0 Litre V8 badge on it as I'm running my gauges in a binnacle on top of the dash with analogue gauges...
I'll do a similar cutout at a minimum. Another guy suggested masking it with some transparent tape to darken the display. I see that the HSV cars have a clean 3 guage molded piece. Searching the AU boards I haven't found any regular VE cars who retrofitted that part. Did you happen to look into it? Or do you know what it costs?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
Torqued
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing