Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a ton of stuff on exhaust on this site and I wish I understood 10% of it. I'm not a mechanic and I'm trying to research but after reading numerous threads, my head starts spinning and there seem to be contradicting replies.

I was looking to spend about $1.2K or so on mods aimed at some performance improvement and better sound (more throaty but not obnoxious). I'm told, here in VA there are fines levied against those who have autos significantly loud (never witnessed any such thing and there are a lot of Harleys around here and have difficulty imagining they are fined).

Step 1) Purchased a rotofab intake,
Step 2) looking to improve exhaust sound. Explored solo axle back, magna axle back and various cat back systems. Question: axle back are definitely cheaper ...do they do anything sound wise without upgrades elsewhere? Are cat backs the only way to go? Full system seems beyond price.
Step 3) New wheels. Any suggestions. I have run flats.

2009 G8 GT

Thx in advance for those responding to a newbie.:eek:ldfogey:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I know there is a ton of stuff on exhaust on this site and I wish I understood 10% of it. I'm not a mechanic and I'm trying to research but after reading numerous threads, my head starts spinning and there seem to be contradicting replies.

I was looking to spend about $1.2K or so on mods aimed at some performance improvement and better sound (more throaty but not obnoxious). I'm told, here in VA there are fines levied against those who have autos significantly loud (never witnessed any such thing and there are a lot of Harleys around here and have difficulty imagining they are fined).

Step 2) looking to improve exhaust sound. Explored solo axle back, magna axle back and various cat back systems. Question: axle back are definitely cheaper ...do they do anything sound wise without upgrades elsewhere? Are cat backs the only way to go? Full system seems beyond price.

2009 G8 GT

First, Welcome to the site...

1. cant go wrong with the rotofab and will give you a nice increase in intake sound.

2. Axle backs will typically give you a nice increase in sound aesthetics but not much in the way of performance compared to cat back systems or headers.

3. I went with VMR wheels. I just kept the stock size wheels so I could reuse my brand new tires I had bought.

Hope that helps!

·
IdontRe Member
631 Posts

2009 G8 GT

The rotofab was a good purchase but spend the rest of the money on a tune.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, Welcome to the site...

1. cant go wrong with the rotofab and will give you a nice increase in intake sound.

2. Axle backs will typically give you a nice increase in sound aesthetics but not much in the way of performance compared to cat back systems or headers.

3. I went with VMR wheels. I just kept the stock size wheels so I could reuse my brand new tires I had bought.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Web. I appreciate the guidance and your taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rotofab was a good purchase but spend the rest of the money on a tune.
Thx Auggie. OK...but now I'm even more out of my league. Tune? I've seen the discussions but have no idea which direction to go on that. Guess I should start researching the forum on that?

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
If it were my car....

Vararam intake, Solo axle backs, Cortex tuner, pick some wheels. These are good mods for the beginner and yield good results and some things an be had used for ALOT less in like new condition. You can pick up a set of used Solo axle back for a couple hundred and a used Cortex tuner also for a couple hundred. The Cortex tuner is great for a beginner and gives you lots of options you an do yourself to get into tuning, just remember once you get into more serious mods like headers then you'll need to go to a professional tuner.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
get a solo exhaust

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
I'm like you o.p. , I'm learning a lot too. I just try not to jump the gun til I fully understand and feel confident in my purchase. I am going for a louder sound and decided on electronic cut outs do to the ability of being able to open and close them. So if I wanna sound stock and keep the cops off my ars and for those days I got a pounding headache or keep the neighbors from hating me lol. No performance gain with them but I figured I'd get my gains elsewhere. Some threads I have also seen where conflicted. I can say that 90% of the time I just take the majority rule route and go with that. Sometimes its just preference and what they wanna spend,like the intake. Some like rotofab and spectra . Others are more about vararam and vcm. In this case I personally went another route and went with orssom, a company out of Australia. Ive had it since march and so far so happy. Patience and read ,learn from others mistakes and accomplishments Well happy modding.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You have options. OBX makes a header system for the guys on a tight budget. You'll still have wiggle room for the intake & dyno tune.

·
Administrator
4,924 Posts
If it were my car....

Vararam intake, Solo axle backs, Cortex tuner, pick some wheels. These are good mods for the beginner and yield good results and some things an be had used for ALOT less in like new condition. You can pick up a set of used Solo axle back for a couple hundred and a used Cortex tuner also for a couple hundred. The Cortex tuner is great for a beginner and gives you lots of options you an do yourself to get into tuning, just remember once you get into more serious mods like headers then you'll need to go to a professional tuner.
I agree with jackalope. These things would make a great set of intro mods. Youll get a little more sound, a little more power and a tune in the trans that will be a lot better than stock all within your price range. After that its just a matter of putting in the time to read read and read some more on this forum to see which direction to go from there.

·
Its Good To Be Tha King
9,064 Posts
Start with Rotofab and Cortex - package deal from one of the vendors.

Save up for a complete long tube exhaust kit, catback and axleback cost doesn't equal performance gains IMO. Although they do remove weight and improve exhaust tone.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To all who have replied--

You all are terrific and clearly one of my best moves so far was joining this forum. I've been a part of other forums before and the response here is better than anything I expected. You guys are great! I plan on being an active participant here as I head down the path to G8 nirvana. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
One of the best bundled package assemblies for ~$1200 to give you an entry level taste of sound and performance is to go CAI, Superchips Cortex (with supporting CAI tune, 93 octane tune) and a Solo Axleback exhaust. Once these mods are done if you want a bit more sound you can remove your mid muffs and replace with a $30 ebay 2.5" XPipe. <--- This will maximize your $1200 the most I can think of with ease of install and proven gains and sound.

If you decide down the road to add more HP bolt ons, or internals/FI you can resale these quality items and recoup most of your cost.

·
Registered
411 Posts
One of the best bundled package assemblies for ~$1200 to give you an entry level taste of sound and performance is to go CAI, Superchips Cortex (with supporting CAI tune, 93 octane tune) and a Solo Axleback exhaust. Once these mods are done if you want a bit more sound you can remove your mid muffs and replace with a $30 ebay 2.5" XPipe. <--- This will maximize your $1200 the most I can think of with ease of install and proven gains and sound.

If you decide down the road to add more HP bolt ons, or internals/FI you can resale these quality items and recoup most of your cost.
Very good advice here. You can do them all in your driveway or garage and they can easily be sold if/when you decide to add more mods.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK. I had already purchased the Volant CAI. Assuming it's OK (can't remember how I came to that decision with my head spinning with options). Going to get the Solo axle backs.

So, been researching the SC Cortex ...looks cool. Something I can install? and handle settings? Never done anything like that. Guess I need to create a new thread under that category (yes moderator...will do)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't forget, Solo Axlebacks are for the sound. Your gains from them (if any) will be very negligible.

As for the Cortex, it plugs into your diagnostic port and you make the tuning adjustments you like in real time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Best bang for your performance buck is a torque converter ...hands down plus it will get you car up into a higher RPM range during accelaration making it sound louder with the stock exhaust

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
...Solo Hi Flo Cats Really woke up my car.. added performance and sound...I have an X Pipe on the stock exhaust with Red Back Axle backs from Down Under...VCM Intake and a Tune...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts