Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently picked up FE3s for my car, along with poly bushings. I'm mildly concerned with what the poly mounts will do to the height in the front. As it sits now, it's fine, but I don't really want to go any higher. I love the height in the rears, so my 2 questions are...Can I reuse my stock rubber bushings (which are in great shape with no gap) to keep the ride height with in reason? Or, is it possible to get lowering springs for the front only, while using the poly bushings to keep the height roughly the way it is? I DO NOT want the rear to be any lower, it sits lower than the front as it is (I've measured) and the rear stance is perfect imo.

Oh, one more thing, will the install of the FE3 rears possibly bring the rear height back up a little since they've settled over the years?

I've researched till my eyes bled and am seeing different answers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
sub'd seeing how I picked up all that kit for both of us, lol. I'm not as concerned as I'm dropping mine with Eibach's

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone out there has to know.

·
The Last Of A Dying Breed
53 Posts
You know what man, I was having the same problem as you were in terms of getting the height of my car height when I upgrade everything!
My whole deal was when I lower my it with the H&R Springs & Lovells Shocks/Struts, I wanna eliminate ALL the wheel gap as possible and I don't want it picking up at all..

After searching the threads, you will see that most of the owners who have used the Poly Strut Mounts, have realized the front of their car does sit higher which is of course what WE don't want. So, I was tired of seeing mixed answers, so I called Andy at Kollar Racing, and got answers from the man himself, and he did explain to me that with the Poly Strut Mounts, the car will sit higher and raise up some. He told me with the new Rubber Strut Mounts, they alone are about 5mm +/- shorter then a poly mount to start with, so that made me feel a whole lots better and I went ahead and purchased them. I will be purchasing my Lovells Shocks/Struts next week which give an additional small 10MM drop on top of the H&Rs, so the car should tuck the 19's very nicely with a mean and aggressive stance...

And how many miles does your car have? The guys who really have experience in suspension on our cars will tell you immediately to you that if you're over a certain mileage, they highly recommend you upgrade the strut mounts because they say as soon as you take the OEMs one apart, the bearings will fall apart. I'm sure guys with more knowledge and experience can chime in! That's just what I know. Let us know how everything works out...

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You know what man, I was having the same problem as you were in terms of getting the height of my car height when I upgrade everything!
My whole deal was when I lower my it with the H&R Springs & Lovells Shocks/Struts, I wanna eliminate ALL the wheel gap as possible and I don't want it picking up at all..

After searching the threads, you will see that most of the owners who have used the Poly Strut Mounts, have realized the front of their car does sit higher which is of course what WE don't want. So, I was tired of seeing mixed answers, so I called Andy at Kollar Racing, and got answers from the man himself, and he did explain to me that with the Poly Strut Mounts, the car will sit higher and raise up some. He told me with the new Rubber Strut Mounts, they alone are about 5mm +/- shorter then a poly mount to start with, so that made me feel a whole lots better and I went ahead and purchased them. I will be purchasing my Lovells Shocks/Struts next week which give an additional small 10MM drop on top of the H&Rs, so the car should tuck the 19's very nicely with a mean and aggressive stance...

And how many miles does your car have? The guys who really have experience in suspension on our cars will tell you immediately to you that if you're over a certain mileage, they highly recommend you upgrade the strut mounts because they say as soon as you take the OEMs one apart, the bearings will fall apart. I'm sure guys with more knowledge and experience can chime in! That's just what I know. Let us know how everything works out...
If the mounts are fine, you could just buy bearings, and new struts. The new struts may raise the rear a little in relation to where it is now as you said before because the old ones may be worn.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I understand correctly, if I go with the ploy bushings, I'd better be prepared to lower the car with new springs. If I stay with the rubber type, the ride height change will be minor. Lastly, either route I go, I should get new bearings as well?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
So if I understand correctly, if I go with the ploy bushings, I'd better be prepared to lower the car with new springs. If I stay with the rubber type, the ride height change will be minor. Lastly, either route I go, I should get new bearings as well?
Get new bearings as a just in case the ones you have are no good.

·
53 Posts
If the mounts are fine, you could just buy bearings, and new struts. The new struts may raise the rear a little in relation to where it is now as you said before because the old ones may be worn.
But, at 65k miles on my car, I was told they probably won't be reusable so I went ahead and ordered new mounts. Andy said the struts offer an additional 10mm drop in addition to the 1.4-however many inches with the new H&Rs! Are you saying it may raise THEN begin to settle in to the right lowered height? I could understand that!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
But, at 65k miles on my car, I was told they probably won't be reusable so I went ahead and ordered new mounts. Andy said the struts offer an additional 10mm drop in addition to the 1.4-however many inches with the new H&Rs! Are you saying it may raise THEN begin to settle in to the right lowered height? I could understand that!
Depends on the struts. If using OEM FE2 or FE3 struts, then your car may raise a little when replacing the worn ones for new. Depends on how worn your current ones are. A rubber bushing has more flex, thus the car will ride lower than one with a stiff poly bushing.

·
53 Posts
Depends on the struts. If using OEM FE2 or FE3 struts, then your car may raise a little when replacing the worn ones for new. Depends on how worn your current ones are. A rubber bushing has more flex, thus the car will ride lower than one with a stiff poly bushing.
Thanks for confirming that! That's the same thing Andy @ Kollar said. You guys are awesome with this info on our cars I tell ya. Yea, definitely not using OEM FE2 or FE3 struts with the H&Rs. I'm ordering the Lovells struts for the front, and those are said to add an additional 10mm of drop! Lord, this car is gonna be pretty dang low man :thumbsup:
I hate the little wheel gap that's on there now, but with all the components I have ordered, this thing should be tucked pretty nicely. Can't wait!

·
Registered
27 Posts
If a guy wanted to lower just an inch - do just the Eibach springs work well by themselves, or is there any other hardware needed?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts