Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the net is full of opinions re plug gap. But the discussions are more about more power or less power, knock, etc. Here is what I am noticing.
If I gap plugs to the wide loose side of spec and Im in 6 gear, 80 - 85 ish, I can kick down to 4th and BEFORE tranny tops off and jumps to 5th then 6th in quick succession, I hit 104mph almost every single time when I look at MPH. When I gap plugs to the small , tight side of spec, when I do the same routine at 80 - 85 ish, just AFTER tranny kicks down from 6th to 4th and then out of 4th to 5th, 6th Im at 92 - 94 mph.

Can a min difference in gap effect top end and low end ? Seems like close tight gap = top is weaker and low is stronger. Loose gap= top end it better and low is weaker.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Radical idea, what is wrong with spec? Not loose, not tight. Obviously your tune leans out too much at the top end. A tight gap won’t light too lean a mixture.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Radical idea, what is wrong with spec? Not loose, not tight. Obviously your tune leans out too much at the top end. A tight gap won’t light too lean a mixture.
Hear me out - When you gap a plug, regardless of spec, over time does it close or open? We will go from there.(y)

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gap widens
So, would it make more sense to start with a tight gap ( if the optimum gap will be achieved over time because of widening )? If you start with a perfect gap, then over time the gap widens and will not perform like it did when it was " perfect ". Its like spices in food. Some will measure a tablespoon full of salt for a recipe. - Standard measurement. But some will not level off the measurement and some will cut short the measurement. This is like the feeler gauge. What is slight drag to some isnt to others. For me, I have noticed that a gap with hardly ANY drag on feeler gauge gives me better top end. Over time, the gap closes and my performance becomes normal( standard), as more time passes, I lose the top end and have better low end as the gap closes.

Understand - Not all people are so particular or microscopic. One man will think a brand new car runs great, the other man might think the same car runs funny. Thats just human nature.
I also have found for me - Summer heat time temps , TR7 runs better. Winter TR6.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Suggest starting with the proper spark plug gap per manufacturer's recommendations. Once the gap widens significantly, time to replace the spark plugs. A larger/wider ground electrode gap is not the only portion of a spark plug that deteriorates over time. The ground electrode gap has been predetermined or preset in order to aid in the optimal efficiency of the vehicle. Have seen people reuse old conventional sparks trying to save a few dollars. Always thought at $4 each, why not just replace them? Akin to reusing an enema because there's a corner of fluid left in the bottle. :poop:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Suggest starting with the proper spark plug gap per manufacturer's recommendations. Once the gap widens significantly, time to replace the spark plugs. A larger/wider ground electrode gap is not the only portion of a spark plug that deteriorates over time. The ground electrode gap has been predetermined or preset in order to aid in the optimal efficiency of the vehicle. Have seen people reuse old conventional sparks trying to save a few dollars. Always thought at $4 each, why not just replace them? Akin to reusing an enema because there's a corner of fluid left in the bottle. :poop:
Oh I get you .... I have had plugs actually were widened on inspection after I take them out. I also have had plugs that have closed when inspecting - after removing. And the rest of the plug is fine - I change out after 15 K miles. Also notice that NGK arent always pre gaped correctly. Sometimes a bit tight. 0.40 is what I shoot for. Like I said, I like to gap them with a VERY easy movement on drag of feeler gauge.Just barely touching both eletrode and top hook.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
If you are going to use cheap sh/tty standard plugs you get what you deserve. The world uses Iridium plugs for that reason. They last for 40,000 to 50,000 miles with very little gap change. They might be double the price but they last 5 to 10 times longer. Manufacturers try to make plugs with a set gap. No one should expect it to be correct.

Reactions: vasilisa

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you are going to use cheap sh/tty standard plugs you get what you deserve. The world uses Iridium plugs for that reason. They last for 40,000 to 50,000 miles with very little gap change. They might be double the price but they last 5 to 10 times longer. Manufacturers try to make plugs with a set gap. No one should expect it to be correct.
Yep,
I use the cheap, shitty, standard plugs. Every 15 K they are changed. I guess I will just keep on gaping them slightly big, then changing them out quick. I never have erosion. Noticeable erosion that is.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Yep,I use the cheap, shitty, standard plugs. Every 15 K they are changed. I guess I will just keep on gaping them slightly big, then changing them out quick...
Any perceived benefits and/or rationale?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any perceived benefits and/or rationale?
Never had the iridium, Plugs always have looked great after removal and inspecting. Plus, I enjoy it ( changing out). Relaxes my mind..... They also say never to use any plug that isnt in line with the car's spec. I use tr7 NGK in summer and I have smoother idle and acceleration vs tr6. So, I blew that one too. If longevity is what some are enjoying, maybe go a step further and get ruthenium .

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Sorry man but the Iridium is the stock plug. There is zero be gained using standard plugs. Back in the day guys thought the L67 needed cold plugs to reduce knock. To use the same rational with a LS engine is just wrong

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep , Stock plug Iridium, . Thats why its listed in the "owners manual". I said, I use copper , I said that I blew that theory of using stock plugs "too". Like as in ...Uh oh, I blew that one too. "
Anyways, I find it amusing that a Doctor can tell a patient what the patient has been doing is not good for them, even though the patient is healthy as an ox. I had a friend with 08 gt. Same mods as I have. I beat him. He had stock iridium plugs and I beat him with my copper tr7 in the head. So ........ at the end of the day, doesnt really matter I guess. But it matters to me. :)

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
LMFAO . You win a race and that is the reason. Iridium plugs are copper cored too. It’s just the tip that iridium. And yes you can get colder iridium plugs. No one said you have to use the stock heat range. Welcome to the century. If it works for you, good luck.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LMFAO . You win a race and that is the reason. Iridium plugs are copper cored too. It’s just the tip that iridium. And yes you can get colder iridium plugs. No one said you have to use the stock heat range. Welcome to the century. If it works for you, good luck.
Are you really laughing out loud or only using the teenage acronym?
[/Q
Are you REALLY laughing your ass off, or just using the teenage cheerleader acronym ?:unsure:
Thanks for making my point though. Iridium stock copper plugs dont win races. Neither to copper. So when you say that I should use this or that, its irrelevant. ( Its personal choice ) And I am fairly certain that when people mention copper vs iridium, I think they know and understand that most arent talking of whats inside. Its a short way of avoiding saying - "The plug thats called iridium with the copper core and the layer of thin iridium coating " I was using rare alloy coated plugs when I was 16. Meh...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you really laughing out loud or only using the teenage acronym?
Oh, Just curious... Did you follow the trend and do the " ice bucket challenge" because everyone else did it too? Bottom line, No gain from iridium. Just less maintenance. Show me 100 articles / experts who say irridium is better, I show you 100 that say different. Just sayin. Debate time !!!!, ... Its going to get hot on that stage tonight !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
261 Posts
12 feet apart, no spewing over the plexiglas either please.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
12 feet apart, no spewing over the plexiglas either please.
Well, there is going to be plenty of fake laughs and scripted head bobbing from one of the key players........ You know, .... the one who pimped themselved out to a man who they belittled. Yes that one. If I didnt believe in what a person stood for, NO WAY in hell would I be their running mate. I have a thing called pride.

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it. -Oscar Levant

1 - 20 of 33 Posts