Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
5 months ago you asked about spark plugs, Cuda. You found plugs TR7IX but you wanted copper. I told you that TR7 is available. I still don’t recommend standard plugs. If you needed a colder plug, use the colder plug but stay with the iridium. Standard plugs are not an advantage. You can even ask NGK which plug is colder. TR7 or TR7IX. Neither, they are the same heat range. They designed them that way. Want to know what is the most popular plug on CTS V forums. Holy crap it’s the TR7IX. With raised boost levels you need a colder plug, but they are not tuning troglodytes. They know they need a colder plug but they don’t give up the advantages of the iridium.
If you get your CTS V tuned by Lingenfelter for the 630 HP tune. Oh they use TR7IX.
Order Whipple supercharger for your LS engine. Guess what spark plug they supply with it.
TR7IX. WeaponXmotorsport recommends when your Boosted LS engine is in the 9 to 15 psi range you will need a #7 range colder spark plug. They sell both the standard and iridium. Same heat range but the iridium will last longer and require less voltage to fire so they are less likely to misfire.
And it’s not just boosted engines. Camaro and Corvette forums. It’s just that usually a plug that cold is usually only needed in boosted applications.
If your engine runs better with a colder plug, great. If you enjoy changing your plugs more often, knock yourself out. I personally like things that last longer and perform better. I buy better oil, filters, suspension parts, tires, brake pads, and spark plugs. You are believing old out date information . Yes high compression and boosted engines need colder plugs. The thought that standard plugs are the only answer is just wrong.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
5 months ago you asked about spark plugs, Cuda. You found plugs TR7IX but you wanted copper. I told you that TR7 is available. I still don’t recommend standard plugs. If you needed a colder plug, use the colder plug but stay with the iridium. Standard plugs are not an advantage. You can even ask NGK which plug is colder. TR7 or TR7IX. Neither, they are the same heat range. They designed them that way. Want to know what is the most popular plug on CTS V forums. Holy crap it’s the TR7IX. With raised boost levels you need a colder plug, but they are not tuning troglodytes. They know they need a colder plug but they don’t give up the advantages of the iridium.
If you get your CTS V tuned by Lingenfelter for the 630 HP tune. Oh they use TR7IX.
Order Whipple supercharger for your LS engine. Guess what spark plug they supply with it.
TR7IX. WeaponXmotorsport recommends when your Boosted LS engine is in the 9 to 15 psi range you will need a #7 range colder spark plug. They sell both the standard and iridium. Same heat range but the iridium will last longer and require less voltage to fire so they are less likely to misfire.
And it’s not just boosted engines. Camaro and Corvette forums. It’s just that usually a plug that cold is usually only needed in boosted applications.
If your engine runs better with a colder plug, great. If you enjoy changing your plugs more often, knock yourself out. I personally like things that last longer and perform better. I buy better oil, filters, suspension parts, tires, brake pads, and spark plugs. You are believing old out date information . Yes high compression and boosted engines need colder plugs. The thought that standard plugs are the only answer is just wrong.
I get it.... But I dont have issue with misfire. Like I said, Its just easy to go to any local auto parts place and they are there on the spot when I need. This is in anticipation of winter months. So no mis fire, an less longevity, Im good. Funny thing is, my question was more about gap .
I can gap my plugs and you can gap them to same spec but, we might not think the drag is the same on feeler gauge. I like to gap mine so that the feeler is barely resisting. Thats all .
When I do that, I have better top end performance with lower rev. When I gap them tight to spec , I have less high end performance and higher revs, but better low end performance. You might drive my car and not feel ANY difference between the two gaps at all. I do .
I will try iridium next summer and let you know if there was a migical difference or not.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
You are pointing out the biggest problem with standard spark plugs. They affect the “Range” of performance. Standard plugs block the spark kernal as it starts between the round flat centre terminal and the flat ground strap. It takes a degree or two of crank rotation to get the flame and explosion in the cylinder. Back in my supercharged V6 days. Guys that ran colder standard plugs had to advance timing about 2 degrees to make up for the slower ignition spark. Not a good way to to handle it. This is the reason they came out with U and V groove plugs. They allow the spark flame to happen faster without changing the materials the plugs were made with. The spark had a way out into the combustion chamber and it didn’t need a stronger spark. Then car makers came out with “high energy” ignitions. This allowed a wider plug gap. This improves overall performance. Then GM took plugs in a different direction. Does anyone remember the Rapid Fire plug? It had the tapered centre electrode and extended deeper in the chamber.

Ok now you see where modern plugs came from. You have done enough testing that you found colder plugs were needed in your motor. But using 40 year old design plugs you have to change the gap for low or high rpm efficiency. This is why I called them cheap and sh/tty. The old design just don’t have a place in this modern engine. The iridium plug eliminates that. The ground strap is tapered and the extended pointed tip allows the spark flame to grow as fast as possible. This takes care of the performance difference you noticed with narrow and wide plug gaps.
It makes sense that you experimented with standard plugs. Low cost. But you found the flaw. Gap for low speed or High rpm. Not acceptable. Now since we do not know what your mods are. Of the two plugs, TR6IX and TR7IX. The high boost LSA motors find the 7’s work for them. Yours will likely
be able to use either and plug gap will have little or no effect on performance.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
You are pointing out the biggest problem with standard spark plugs. They affect the “Range” of performance. Standard plugs block the spark kernal as it starts between the round flat centre terminal and the flat ground strap. It takes a degree or two of crank rotation to get the flame and explosion in the cylinder. Back in my supercharged V6 days. Guys that ran colder standard plugs had to advance timing about 2 degrees to make up for the slower ignition spark. Not a good way to to handle it. This is the reason they came out with U and V groove plugs. They allow the spark flame to happen faster without changing the materials the plugs were made with. The spark had a way out into the combustion chamber and it didn’t need a stronger spark. Then car makers came out with “high energy” ignitions. This allowed a wider plug gap. This improves overall performance. Then GM took plugs in a different direction. Does anyone remember the Rapid Fire plug? It had the tapered centre electrode and extended deeper in the chamber. View attachment 182631
Ok now you see where modern plugs came from. You have done enough testing that you found colder plugs were needed in your motor. But using 40 year old design plugs you have to change the gap for low or high rpm efficiency. This is why I called them cheap and sh/tty. The old design just don’t have a place in this modern engine. The iridium plug eliminates that. The ground strap is tapered and the extended pointed tip allows the spark flame to grow as fast as possible. This takes care of the performance difference you noticed with narrow and wide plug gaps.
It makes sense that you experimented with standard plugs. Low cost. But you found the flaw. Gap for low speed or High rpm. Not acceptable. Now since we do not know what your mods are. Of the two plugs, TR6IX and TR7IX. The high boost LSA motors find the 7’s work for them. Yours will likely
be able to use either and plug gap will have little or no effect on performance.
Sounds good. I will start with 6 range. Have a part # and source that is reasonable ?
Im always willing to try vs being close minded.
;)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Rock auto wins as usual. $5.08. They list the number as 3689

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rock auto wins as usual. $5.08. They list the number as 3689
Thanks for all the energy that you invested in your attempt to share your argument for using Iridium . We shall see. And I will let you know

·
Premium Member
5,743 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
From Rock Auto, did you Google or retail me not the 5% off discount code?
No, I just ordered. Figured they were less than what I was seeing from other places and their discounts. You getting new ones ?

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
A Troll for a good cause is still a TROLL

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
A Troll for a good cause is still a TROLL
So, I installed. My initial thoughts after just hrs of driving - .... Radio whine is gone. Smoother excel. Actually tranny is shifting different too. I know its not plausible, but its apparent. Its been only hrs. I will let you know more after a couple weeks. Gaps were NOT .040 from factory. More like .037

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Good to hear. Gap is NEVER guaranteed when you buy a plug from any maker. The installer is responsible to check and correct it. Always has been this way. This is technology making your engine better. This is performance that is going to last. The smoothness you feel is improved efficiency in the combustion chamber. When you not having fun, you will see better fuel mileage.
Other than the plugs higher price, there are zero drawbacks

21 - 33 of 33 Posts