Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I put my first 5,000 miles on my G8 GT since buying it back in October. I took it in to the closest GM dealer in my area for its 100% free oil change, tire rotation and service checkup, which is covered under the 2 year Certified Pre-Owned maintanence plan. Of course with all dealers you have to drop and come back because it takes them hours for what takes a quickie lube 15-20 minutes. They tried to upsell me on needing rear diff oil change and Fuel Induction Service on a car with 24,000 miles, said no thanks.

Got home and looked under the hood to check their work, sure enough, the factory air intake was half on the intake manifold, which was really obvious since the hose running from the coolant res to the radiator was now running over the air intake block... also the engine cover was improperly reattached and was pinching one of the vacuum hoses.

Needless to say I will now try the 2nd closest GM dealer next time. Or I may just pony the money and use a quickie lube where at least I can hover and make sure they don't screw the pooch... I called the dealer and expressed my concerns and the fact that I may seek elsewhere for my business next time...

Living in an apartment in LA makes it impossible to do it myself, so it's always a fun challenge not getting your car screwed up by idiots.

I know it isn't everyday a mechanic sees a G8, but common under the hood it's still just a GM... If this is that dealer's level of attention to detail I fear bringing it in for anything too major...

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
That sucks, man. I've had good luck with the Chevy dealer near me. They do a lot of Corvette sales, though...probably a bit more familiar with the detail-oriented customer.

When I brought the GXP in for the first time, a bunch of people came out to look at it. They give me a good deal on Mobil 1 oil changes, too.

I like the dealer aspect that it's all logged in "the system", but if I had a quick lube guy that I trusted, I wouldn't think they'd do a bad job. I wouldn't go to Jiffy Lube, though. For some reason Jiffy Lube and I don't get along.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
I happen to use that same Chevy dealer in Middleton for maintanence on my GM cars, and they are good folks. I will need to see them for some warranty work this spring. I discovered an oil leak under the GXP after sitting for the last few months (don't know if it's pan gasket or rear main seal yet), the fuel level sending unit failed twice on a trip to OH last August and was documented with OnStar, the clutch pedal has now stuck down on me on a few occasions and is happening with greater frequency after having not been an issue for the first 20K miles, and lastly I have to have them look at the 3rd brake light. It was replaced under warranty last year from burnt out bulbs, but the replacement is now hanging on one side. I have read that might require replacing the entire headliner, and that would be a real pain!

Moral of the story. Not all dealers are the same. Search till you find a good one, and keep taking your business there!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
bracketracer
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing