Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Pontiac owners are abandoning the brand when it comes time to purchase their next vehicle, according to a report in Automotive News.

Pontiac's moderately priced sedans like the G6, Grand Prix and G8 were affordable transportation for many consumers. With those products gone, all that GMC-Buick dealers (who formerly carried Pontiac products) can offer are more expensive fare like the Buick Lacrosse, which starts at $26,000.

Pontiac customers who do stick with GM tend to gravitate towards Chevrolet, which offers larger, moderately priced sedans that are a familiar transition for Pontiac owners. GM has offered a $1,000 rebate to Pontiac owners as well as four free oil changes as an incentive to stay with the company. GM spokesperson Tom Henderson said that "the loyalty rates of Pontiac owners are in line with our expectations," but declined to give any data.

More: Only 36 Percent Of Pontiac Owners Stay With GM on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wow, what a surprise [/sarcasm].

Still like to know what GM thinks I should replace my G8 with (not that I'm planning on it). Sorry, the CTS is overpriced and underpowered compared to my G8.

Besides the G8, Pontiac sold a lot of FWD Grand Prix's and G6's. Ford's Fusion is a much sportier vehicle than the Chevy Malibu, and the Regal isn't here yet (and even when it is it'll be significantly more expensive than former Pontiac customers were willing to pay...)

·
Registered
779 Posts
I doubt I'll go Chevy unless I end up with a Z28 (doubtful). Most likely I buy a used CTS-V which is currently the plan

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have to agree with the report I won't be buying a GM next time I look for a car.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Same here... next garage queen will be Challenger SRT8 with 6.4l hemi. My GT will be daily driver.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Funny, Didn't GM decide that since most Pontiacs were shared platforms that the customer base would just jump over to the shared platform model in another division? Looks like they figured wrong.

I'm curious as to where the bulk of that customer base went?

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
I think I have to agree too. Probably jumping ship with the next new purchase.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I'll stay if the HOLDEN comes back as a Chevy!:wink2: If not I have absolutely no Idea what I'll be getting next. :dunno: Thanks GM!

G8 = Dead
Avalanche/Suburban/Tahoe = Scheduled for execution.

WTF!:cursin:

·
Registered
177 Posts
"Avalanche/Suburban/Tahoe = Scheduled for execution."

Where did you get this info from? I just read today that Chevy is celebrating the 75th anniversary of the Suburban. I know that is pretty insignificant, as far as a reason to keep a model around, but I am hard pressed to believe they would kill it off now.

The Tahoe/Avalanche I can understand.

Not trying to start an argument, just curious about where this info came from.

·
Yep, that just happened..
5,024 Posts
^ Damn Vanilla!! LMAO

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
^Nope...GM figured out a way to once again do things "half ass", the Regal will be FWD 220HP only.....(so far at least), so if this is the best they can do....like most of you, I have no clue what my next car will be.

I LOVE my G8...but I also think this is my last GM product. FORD is whipping the floor with them...

...while the new Taurus is a fat cow (4300 pounds), as always....it seems only the Germans (335 or M) and some Japanese (G37) companies understand how to put a full package together.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My last 6 cars have been GM, and for once they have nothing that really interests me. I've been a sworn enemy of ford as that's my wifes brand, and I'm always fixing the dumbest ****, but I do have to agree about the new stangs styling. Also, from what I read the new SHO is just a tune away from hitting high 12's. Other than a caddy, I can't find one appealing car in gm's lineup.

Really is a sad thought...:(

·
Master Sheep Hurdler
1,611 Posts
The next vehicle I buy will be a truck to replace the Dakota. I like GM's Duramax/Allison combo better than Ford's diesel and I won't buy a full size Dodge pickup.

By the time I can afford to replace the G8 (likely just bump it down to "toy" status) who knows what will be out there. We're talking 2016 here.:rofl:

·
Capital City G8
227 Posts
The only thing that will be in my interest when the G8 is finished with is probably the lumina ss but by the time i will be buying another vehicle they will probably have that on the chopping block also! maybe a smart car or something that gets 75 miles a gallon on E85 i dont know yet lol

by the way this is my fourth gm vehicle sunbird le,ws6 trans am,chevy avalanche z-71,and g8 gt

·
Registered
412 Posts
The idealistic process only seems to work with what we know, which is not much, of what GM may have in store for 2013,14,15,16???

The Ford Taurus, with a tune can get an additional 100HP with the stock turbo. But, alas, no 6MT :(

So regardless, it's hard to decide what we would get if we don't know what's coming after 2012 :p :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts