Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Superduper Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I know people should know what the Onstar provides since you should of got a leaflet with your car but... I just thought Id put this out there for the sake of people who search Onstar.
(Feel free to discuss OnStar in this thread) I will upgrade this if anything changes or i miss anything

OK the blueish is what you get standard and free for the first year (safe & sound plan)
the red is optional services $$ (Directions & Connections plan)

-ONSTAR SERVICES-

-Automatic Air Bag Deployment Response
If you airbags deploy. we can contack you to ask if you need assistance.

-Emegency Services
At the touch of a button, we can contact emergency services.

-Stolen Vehicle location assistance
If your vehicle is stolen, an advisor can help authorities attempt to locate it.

-Remote door unlock
An advisor can send a signal to unlock your doors.

-GM Goodwrench remote diagnostics
We can run a remote diagnostic probe of your vehicle while you are driving.

-OnStar hands-free calling
Access to hands-free, voice-activated calling built into your vehicle.

-Roadside Assistance
If you need help on the road, we can call a nearby service provider.

-AccidentAssit
Get step-by-step by step guidence about what to do if you are in an accident.

-Remote Horn and Lights
We can activate your horn and lights to help you quickly locate your vehicle.

-Driving Directions
Get directions to any destination based on your GPS location.

-RideAssist
Call OnStar if your incapable of driving and we'll call you a taxi.

-Infomation/Convenience Services
Get service recommendations and directory infomation from an advisor

·
Registered
526 Posts
Don't forget...you get one free turn-by-turn navigation. Have people here tried it? How is it?

As for the other items...if you ask me, the emergency services option should be free through the life of the car. Are you telling me I can be in a serious accident, but the technology that is ALREADY installed in my car will go to waste and will not be activated simply because I don't pay hundreds of dollars per year? BS! The other options should not be free, but when it comes to life and death matters, GM should have drawn the line better. Just my two cents.

·
Superduper Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Don't forget...you get one free turn-by-turn navigation. Have people here tried it? How is it?

As for the other items...if you ask me, the emergency services option should be free through the life of the car. Are you telling me I can be in a serious accident, but the technology that is ALREADY installed in my car will go to waste and will not be activated simply because I don't pay hundreds of dollars per year? BS! The other options should not be free, but when it comes to life and death matters, GM should have drawn the line better. Just my two cents.

I think it is free for the life of the car. I think a lot of them are except calling and stuff. But I may be wrong.

·
Party Liquor Hybrid
254 Posts
200 for the safe and sound plan. and extra 100 for directions and connections. The directions feature is pretty neat. I have used it once. When I activated they gave me a month of the directions. I will probably renew this feature at some point because I like it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I tried the turn by turn, since it is free the first month. They failed on the first download to the car, but came on line again and got it the second time. In my opinion the directions were not very well optimized. For instance, along the route I should make a left turn, however Onstar directed me to make a right turn, and then an immediate U-Turn, crazy! I have had the same result with NAVTEQ based systems at this same intersection. There is nothing unusual about the intersection, it is two major roadways.

What is missing is the best part of a real GPS system, The Estimated Time of Arrival and the remaining distance. The last NAV system I had could give the correct ETA in a 5 hour trip within 5 minutes. It is great to call someone and say I will be there at 5:00 o'clock, and be accurate about it.

For what Onstar is charging, I expect a lot more.

I have experience, several hundred hours using NAV systems from several manufacturers. I give the Onstar people 4 out of 10 stars on their effort.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As always, unless noted, answers are based on USA information.

_G8GT_ said:
-ONSTAR SERVICES-

-Automatic Notification of airbag deployment
If you airbags deploy. we can contack you to ask if you need assistance.
The name has changed on that one, it is now called "Automatic Air Bag Deployment Response".

Although I think the G8, as do most 2008 OnStar equipped cars, has the one better step of "Automatic Crash Response". This is similar but doesn't require air bag deployment.

-"Automatic Crash Response".
If your vehicle is involved in a moderate to severe crash, we will conact you to ask if you need assistance.

jimmyban said:
And starting June 1 or so you will be able to upload pre-planned routes from Mapquest to your car.
There is a good chance you will need the upgraded plan subscription of "Directions & Connections" to use this new addition to the "Turn-by-Turn Navigation" service.

Attorneyguy said:
As for the other items...if you ask me, the emergency services option should be free through the life of the car.

_G8GT_ said:
I think it is free for the life of the car. I think a lot of them are except calling and stuff. But I may be wrong.
If a subscription is not extended, OnStar will turn off the service. No emergency functions will remain active.

SnY_pEr said:
How much is it for OnStar* after the first year? Does anyone know?
_G8GT_ said:
I think Its $203 a year (16.95 a month)
It depends on which plan and how you elect to pay for it.

Safe & Sound is $18.95 per month for a month by month subscription billed to you credit card. Or you could pay for one year in advance for $199. Additional savings are available for two and three year subscriptions.

Directions & Connections (includes the Safe & Sound services) is $28.90 per month for a month by month subscription billed to you credit card. Or you could pay for one year in advance for $299. Additional savings are available for two and three year subscriptions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What does it mean by "connections"?

Also, on the Canada site it's even more.

Safe & Sound
Model Year 2007 and Newer Vehicle Pricing:
$24.95/month* or $289/year (plus tax)

That IMO is the most stupid thing I have seen. Why do we need to pay 100$ more for the same features?

·
Registered
705 Posts
I like Onstar, had it on my CTS. What is new is that you can add your onstar phone to your cellphone if you have verizon...much cheaper if you make a lot of car calls than buying the minutes from GM.

I wonder if they could do the ECM update over the Onstar?

·
Registered
705 Posts
What does it mean by "connections"?

Also, on the Canada site it's even more.

Safe & Sound
Model Year 2007 and Newer Vehicle Pricing:
$24.95/month* or $289/year (plus tax)

That IMO is the most stupid thing I have seen. Why do we need to pay 100$ more for the same features?
It's our way of making up the trade deficit by screwing you guys.:wink2:

·
Registered
526 Posts
That was my understanding. If a subscription is not extended after the first year, OnStar will turn off the emergency functions. They will NOT remain active.

And that's my huge gripe with GM. Why not offer that option for free (either for the life of the car or even 5 to 10 years). I mean, the system is already built into the car, and the car would only send a signal if the car was in a really bad crash. Instead, GM forces you spend lots of $$$ extra to get the service (and how many people actually use it after the first year?).

·
Registered
67 Posts
on star

on star is $199.00 a year,by the way being a brit do they undertand u,i find they dont understand it when i say 4.very frustrating and your accent must be stronger than mine!!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i did!!!

That was my understanding. If a subscription is not extended after the first year, OnStar will turn off the emergency functions. They will NOT remain active.

And that's my huge gripe with GM. Why not offer that option for free (either for the life of the car or even 5 to 10 years). I mean, the system is already built into the car, and the car would only send a signal if the car was in a really bad crash. Instead, GM forces you spend lots of $$$ extra to get the service (and how many people actually use it after the first year?).
.i used my onstar for 3 years on my pontiac g6 gt!!!!!wouldnt be without it!!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
By the way did onstar offer 100 hands free minutes for $13.95plus tax.in fact they offered me it again .!!!!usual price $39.95 plus tax .

·
Registered
249 Posts
britqueen26 said:
i find they dont understand it when i say 4.very frustrating and your accent must be stronger than mine!!!!!
The older manuals would suggest putting more emphasis on the "r" at the end of "four" to improve recognition.

Once had a customer that had to have someone else load any phone number with a "2" into nametag memory for her, as the system would not recognize her "2". Not a problem with her new car.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
18 Participants
G8 Ray
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing