Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After cruising with the OGOC last weekend, I've decided the G8 needs to stretch her legs a little more. At the end of the month, I'm putting FE3s and poly bushings on the car, so what better way to utilize this and my other upgrades by hitting a great driving road. Pickings are slim around the GTA, so I'll be heading up to Bala to tackle Southwood Rd. Right now, I'm planning for the 15th of June but am willing to push to the 13th of July if there are more takers. It should be a blast to see what this car can do on an actual twisty road as opposed to "light to light" go-go. If anyone's interested post up here and join in the fun. Cheers.

Date: July 13th
Time: 11:00 am
Meet place: highway 11 and Southwood rd west.
Reason: driving fun!!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Sub'd... All depends on what date you pick but you'll pass right by me. So I can link up with you in Barrie.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
OH! And a word of advice... Don't make it a Friday or Sunday. The 400 & 11 get clogged to s$^&, I stay away from them like the plague.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Definitely!!! I'm in Bowmanville and I missed the meet in Oshawa because I had to work. Really looking to get together with some fellow owners :)
[email protected] is where you can get @ me!

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ummmm. Gravenhurst is in Ontario. And not exactly close to the GTA. Grant may come and he lives in Ottawa.

·
One of them OGOC folks
337 Posts
This tempts me...

·
OGOC Member
773 Posts
My stock suspension and brakes are interested. Can't do June 15, though, as I have another commitment that day.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Recommendations:

Use GMRS 2-way radios.

Avoid the 400 going up.
You can't cruise in a convey on the 400 very well.
& use other roads to get around/avoid Barrie.

Southwood Rd:
Stay on your side of the road ! (no shaving corners/curves).
Watch out for suicide 2-wheel organ donors.
STOP AT ALL RAILROAD CROSSINGS, & CRAWL ACROSS !!!
& there may be SAND on the road this early in the season...so be careful in the corners.

& if you like baked goods, make sure you stop at: The Bakery in Gravenhurst
They have Maple syrup filled Butter Tarts ! (not my thing, but others love it!)

PS: Gas up in Gravenhurst before returning.
Gasoline is cheaper up there than in Toronto.

Plan for "Bio breaks" lol

The local Vettes are doing a Webers run this Saturday.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Avoid the 400 going up.
You can't cruise in a convey on the 400 very well.
& use other roads to get around/avoid Barrie.
I dunno about that, the 400 is decent once you pass the King City exit, as long as you don't go during rush hours or Friday or Sunday. As for avoiding Barrie.... Not much options there unless you go further west and take airport rd, HW 27, or something else. East then you're stuck getting around Lake Simcoe.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I dunno about that, the 400 is decent once you pass the King City exit, as long as you don't go during rush hours or Friday or Sunday. As for avoiding Barrie.... Not much options there unless you go further west and take airport rd, HW 27, or something else. East then you're stuck getting around Lake Simcoe.
I've done both going up Hwy 27 & Hwy 400 on car cruises.

If it is about the drive & a larger group: Hwy 27 is more enjoyable.

If you want to get up to Orillia area faster: Hwy 400.
But keeping a larger group together on the 400 is a PITA, IMO.

But then again, I've been out with some cruises, like to Niagara-on-the-lake for Sunday brunch...where we taken 3 hours to get there.
& miss Sunday brunch (that we were going there for) lol

·
Proud OGOC member!
770 Posts
Subscribed. July 13 would work for me. Add a bonfire at Scott's cottage afterwards and that would seal the deal ;-)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay so booking for July 13th firm. Details to follow.

·
Proud OGOC member!
770 Posts
Oops. I was reading Barrie as Barry's Bay :huh: I guess I have summer on the brain ;-)

Still interested.

Scorpious, after the long winter your beast needs to stretch her legs and meet some other G8's. Do it!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Subscribed. July 13 would work for me. Add a bonfire at Scott's cottage afterwards and that would seal the deal ;-)
Umm my cottage much further north than Gravenhurst, lol. It'd be a hell of a drive but a bit too long.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Oops. I was reading Barrie as Barry's Bay :huh: I guess I have summer on the brain ;-)

Still interested.

Scorpious, after the long winter your beast needs to stretch her legs and meet some other G8's. Do it!!!!!!

Yo Scorpious........ I have witness what Grant's version of "stretch her legs" means ...... it's a common denominator with the number 200..............:gears::gears::gears:

·
OGOC Member
2,649 Posts
Im in if we can get a solid day planned

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
July 13th confirmed. Meet at highway 11 and Southwood Rd. Up to Bala, lunch, relax and do it again heading south. No convoy required. 11am start time, may postpone if it's raining heavily. I'll probably do a run before that to check it out and see if anything else is around.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I'm down as maybe. Getting back from camping the day before. Depends on how much I have to do before going back to work the following Monday.

·
OGOC Member
2,649 Posts
Sounds good to me so far I dont see any problems with that myself.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.