Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been running open loop for last month. Car runs the best ever. I'm current at 4,300 ft above sea level. If I drop down to sea level, what will the car run like? Will I have issues ? Tune was done with wide band sensor, then replaced with standard o2, . Which obviously is now tuned out.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
No direct experience here, but based on the old days, with a car running well at sea level then taken to the mountains, there was a noticeable loss of power. So I would also expect some noticeable effect coming the other way.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m 90% sure that the car will run lean. You tuned it based on your current elevation which has less dense air and therefore not as much oxygen as there is at sea level. Being in open loop, the car has no chance to correct for the added oxygen at sea level and will cause a very lean condition.

I would either install a wideband to keep an eye on my AFR’s and tune as you go down in elevation or put the car back into closed loop operation.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.
What about this ? is it feasible to run open loop without the wide band as long as I'm in the elevation where it was tuned? Let's say I dropped down to sea level, previous to taking that trip, I can install the activated o2 on version . What's your opinion? I just love not having the little quirks of varying performance in open loop.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Why are you tuned in open loop with such minimal mods?? I don't understand.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Why are you tuned in open loop with such minimal mods?? I don't understand.
It has been the most consistent and most powerful tune out of 16 different revisions of a Pat G tune.( Patrick Guerrera was absolutely wonderful and helping me get what I was looking for as far as performance with just bolt ons.) I then simply had a local tuner use a wideband . Pat then took that guy's tune and used his tables and crafted an open loop tune. I also have three different transmission tunes. I've been cruising around with the open-loop and one of his revised tunes for transmission. It's been great.This particular transmission tune is a very aggressive off the line, but lacks good productivity in upper gear ratios. When I take a long trip, I just switch to a less aggressive trans tune. Maybe I will just go to the route and get a monitor for the wideband. Any suggestions ? Preferably something easy to install and looks decent. And affordable of course !

·
Registered
373 Posts
It has been the most consistent and most powerful tune out of 16 different revisions of a Pat G tune.( Patrick Guerrera was absolutely wonderful and helping me get what I was looking for as far as performance with just bolt ons.) I then simply had a local tuner use a wideband . Pat then took that guy's tune and used his tables and crafted an open loop tune. I also have three different transmission tunes. I've been cruising around with the open-loop and one of his revised tunes for transmission. It's been great.This particular transmission tune is a very aggressive off the line, but lacks good productivity in upper gear ratios. When I take a long trip, I just switch to a less aggressive trans tune. Maybe I will just go to the route and get a monitor for the wideband. Any suggestions ? Preferably something easy to install and looks decent. And affordable of course !
The easiest wideband to install is the AEM 30-0333 or 30-0334(same just newer model). It plugs right into the OBD2 port and hptuners monitors it as if it were a factory sensor. Picked mine up for $145 new but open box.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts