Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some wider and taller tires on the G8 but I'm not quite sure which direction to go. I do like the stock GXP rims but I feel they lack a little bit in depth and are definitely lacking in traction now that I have added more power. I am considering the CTS V wheels because I they are very similar yet wider and I get to retain my Brembos. However, I also really like the Sport Edition staggered 20” wheels. I feel that they add a further element of sportiness to the car as well as the extra width and height. The downsize to these wheels would be that I lose the some of the classic GXP look and I believe I would lose the Brembos as well. At this point I'm not sure if there are upgraded brakes that would fit. Also, if I do use the Sport Edition wheels should I just go 9.5” all around, as this would make grip better and tire rotation much easier. I believe people have fit this with a tire on the front before. Thoughts on this...?

Below are some pics that I modified with Microsoft paint.
Here's a link that shows the Sport Edition wheels on a LRM G8.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19377

·
Registered
179 Posts
If performance and more traction is your #1 motivation, stick with 19s.

If looks is your #1 motivation, go with 20s. I would not trash the brakes for a wheel as there are plenty of wheels that can clear the brakes.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That are not that many wheels that fit over the Brembos. Selection is extremely limited. Of those that do fit, not many are wider. Of those that are wider, there are only a few that I really care for (CTS-V, HSV VE GTS $$$$ ). I do like the HBD VE Super Sports 20", but they only come 8" wide. Again the GXP selection is extremely limited.

These aren't too bad.
http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofiles-display.php?id=T10

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'd go staggered for one. Secondly, why not just get the rears widened, and put a 285? on the rear then? I understand the rear width, but more front width? How often have you slid the front tires sideways on a racetrack? They stick like glue my friend!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
i love the sport edition's, i believe tirerack sold them. i checked to see if they still had them cause i wanted them for my car but i didn't see them for sale on their site anymore. those sport edition were on clearance for quite some time now so i hope they didn't sell out of'em for good. anyways, good luck with you choice, car looks nice!! good color choice.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I would widen the rears like other members have and get some awesome tires man, if you get great tires traction wont be a problem!

·
Registered
179 Posts
That are not that many wheels that fit over the Brembos. Selection is extremely limited. Of those that do fit, not many are wider. Of those that are wider, there are only a few that I really care for (CTS-V, HSV VE GTS $$$$ ). I do like the HBD VE Super Sports 20", but they only come 8" wide. Again the GXP selection is extremely limited.

These aren't too bad.
http://www.ccwheel.com/files/wheelprofiles-display.php?id=T10
I've had CCW in the past and loved them.

Not sure I follow your logic that "not many that do fit are wider"... There might not be a great number of off the shelf wheels that fit, but I would go with a custom wheel before switching out the brakes. Check out DPE, CCW, Iforge, Forgestar (just to name a few that have reasonable prices).

Here is a killer set of DPEs in the for sale section that will clear. http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24865&page=1

·
Registered
517 Posts
the problem with the wheels you photoshopped is they are very heavy. Combine that with 20" tires and it will be like adding 300lbs+ to your car. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Why not just try to find a wheel shop in your area that can widen the rear wheels for you? The GXP wheels are better looking than any aftermarket wheel I've seen so far, and it would keep that stock look.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Great input everyone. I really like the look of the Sport Edition wheels, maybe it's just that they are 20" and that's partially what makes it look so much better. Also, I think those black DPE's look terrible.

I think I may just forget the CTS-V wheels, widen the rears to ~10.5-11", and then maybe down the road get a set of the CCW T10's.

I am concerned with how to properly mount a widened stock GXP wheel though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Also, I think those black DPE's look terrible.
What, those are awesome wheels.

I do understand, the look of a wheel is very much a matter of taste and black wheels are not for everyone. I like them on the right car, but only when they have a polished lip. I can't figure out how anyone thinks a completely black wheel looks good, yet many think they are the ultimate.

I think it is somewhat of an acquired taste (like beer). Your first taste is always bad, but over time you start to love it. It is a strange deal.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe terrible was too strong a word. They're not that bad and I'm sure they look better in person, but in general I prefer more traditional wheel styling.

:wink2:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dont spend money on rims get some nice pedders stuff, they will make much more of an impact!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I searched forever to get that " ALMOST stock look but just a little better" look. See if you like TSW Donington,s. I chose them because there's room for bigger brakes,that is my next project, & they look like they belong on the car.I posted a thread about a month ago if you want to see pics. I hope it at least gives you another option.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts