Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the options for replacing or upgrading brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., for an 08 Pontiac G8 V6 sedan on a budget? Thru searching there seems to be more opinions on the GTs then the V6 models. Thou I have seen the thread about upgrading with the GT brakes, rotors, & calipers.

As of right now I have 84,828 miles on my G8. :driving: When I had the car's state inspection done June 2010 I was told my brakes were 50%/60%, after 2 years of ownership. So I am suspecting I will need to replace the brakes this year. I don't know if they will pass the state inspection next month. :(

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know that shipping wouldn't be cheap & I don't know how much of an upgrade the GT brakes are, but I have my complete front stock GT brakes with calipers, rotors, and pads with 28k miles on them just sitting in my garage.

Nothing at all wrong with them, perfect shape. Just a thought :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
the only thing us v6r's need are the caliper brackets and the rotors.......calipers and pads are the same

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
I am running a full GT brake setup on my V6. I now have a lot of options for aftermarket brakes. As LowCal said, all you need are the caliper brackets and rotors as the GT rotors are a inch bigger in diameter. There are no clearance issues and the GT rotors fill the V6 wheels well. I found a kit on ebay from SLP for $179. They are the factory brakes removed from brand new GTs when SLP was converting them over to the Firehawk G8s.

V6 left GT rotor right

V6 brakes

GT brakes

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So going to the GT rotors & caliper brackets is a good upgrade? I just need to get the GT rotors and caliper brackets somewhere. Is that only for the front or can the rears be upgraded with the GT's also? Any mods needed to the rotors and caliper brackets to fit?

One of my coworkers who mods cars on the side said that he heard that the 2010-11 Chevy Camaro SS Brembo brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., will work also on the G8s. I have found 2 auctions of these on eBay but for fronts only for about $450-$500. I have a feeling these will only work on the GTs.

He also suggested that if I decided to upgrade the brakes I should also replace the brake lines to Stainless Steel lines.

Derekprz I see from your pics your are having the same problem I am having, the Pontiac emblems peeling off the center caps. I have already replaced mine once already and now 2 out of the 4 are peeling again. Has anyone found a way to prevent them from peeling?

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
So going to the GT rotors & caliper brackets is a good upgrade? I just need to get the GT rotors and caliper brackets somewhere. Is that only for the front or can the rears be upgraded with the GT's also? Any mods needed to the rotors and caliper brackets to fit?

One of my coworkers who mods cars on the side said that he heard that the 2010-11 Chevy Camaro SS Brembo brakes, rotors, calipers, & etc., will work also on the G8s. I have found 2 auctions of these on eBay but for fronts only for about $450-$500. I have a feeling these will only work on the GTs.

He also suggested that if I decided to upgrade the brakes I should also replace the brake lines to Stainless Steel lines.

Derekprz I see from your pics your are having the same problem I am having, the Pontiac emblems peeling off the center caps. I have already replaced mine once already and now 2 out of the 4 are peeling again. Has anyone found a way to prevent them from peeling?
I have the GT brakes in the front and rear. They bolt up with no modifications. So if you can get the caliper brackets from a GT, you will be able to go aftermarket rotors or just get the GT OEMs. The Brembo brakes can be installed, but the wheels will not fit. I believe you will need an offset spacer to use our wheels or just buy 20" wheels to make it work.

I haven't bought the Russel stainless lines yet, but will eventually do that. A few in my club have done that.

As for my center caps. I'm going to the dealer today. I am still under the 3/36 bumper warranty, and the dealer said that they will be covered.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
How much of a benefit would upgrading to stainless steel brake lines be?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I would first just start with better pads (Hawks) and see if that does what you are looking for in terms of stopping power. You'll feel a massive difference without having to buy new rotors and calipers. Start there and then decide if you really need bigger rotors. Stainless steel lines are a good upgrade. They won't fade from heat expansion and you'll have less pedal travel which improves feel and confidence. Plus they'll last pretty much forever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts