Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have THESE Kooks catted mids and the rest back from the cats is the stock GT exhaust. The exhaust is starting to rust out in a few spots. The flex pipe which connects to the muffler is rusted out and almost completely broken and there is a leak somewhere in the middle as well. At this point I'm trying to come up with options on how to fix this while maintaining a quiet exhaust.
So some questions...
  • Is it worthwhile to try and keep the stock catback and bring it to an exhaust shop to have them salvage it? I assume welding up a new flexpipe and patching whatever leak is in the middle. Would the cost of this route be similar to the cost of something new that I install?
  • Is there a good alternative aftermarket solution that just replaces the exhaust between the cats and muffler? Any option I see either includes the cats and/or mufflers and I don't need either.
  • How much does the stock mid-muffler quiet things down both from an overall loudness perspective and drone? I plan to keep the GT mufflers, but worry about losing the mid-muffler if I go an aftermarket route.
  • Other ideas?

·
Registered
'09 GT
5 Posts
I am replacing my cat-back w borla S but that wont be shipped until late March. I purchased from Jegs along w 2 O2 sensors. This ran me 1429.91. I would say that unless someone is a mechanic and answers up on cost/manhours, just take it to a shop for an estimate. Take it to a few and see just how bad the rust is. I apologize, im not a quick fix guy.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
I'm with Eric P. Take the car to a local muffler shop and let them tell you if they can replace the portions you are concerned about and save your mufflers. If it is rusting in multiple places, it may be time to replace your exhaust system.

At least the guesstimate from the muffler shop will give you the cost information you need to make an informed decision.

Good luck..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I do know that the mufflers are in great condition as they were off the car for majority of its life. I don't think there is much rusting of the exhaust tubing itself, mainly where connections happen, such as the factory weld to the rear flexpipe.

I have called a few places already and they said they don't do "custom exhaust work" but would happily swap in new parts. I'll keep looking around.

·
Registered
2009 GT, Black
759 Posts
Understood. I called around, finally found a custom shop. They told me to bring the parts and they would install them as well. Good luck on your hunt.

·
every village has one
2,378 Posts
Too bad you’re probably a ways away. I have a stock one hanging on my back garage wall. The mufflers are boxed up somewhere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts