Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went online and ordered from Autoanything (who price matches btw!)

Powerslot rotors (front)
Hawk HPS pads (front)
Russel steel brake lines (full set)

Tirerack:
ATI dot 4 racing brake fluid (1L)

Just tackling the front for now, will do rears next.

Am I missing anything?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Pick up some blue locktite, brake cleaner and caliper grease. If you already have that stuff, it might be a good idea to buy a pack of brackets and boots for 10 bucks just in case. I'm pretty sure my SS lines came with new copper washers and I re used the banjo bolts. Just wire brush everything before you put back in.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have heard people mention a plug can help in the fluid leak while you are disconnecting the lines.
Plenty of rags and a water bottle or one of the rags wet in case you get any fluid on the paint.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
what do you mean by index the rotors to the hub?

anyhow i'd recommend new disc hardware. mine bent on install and now i have to redo the fronts. you could just be a little more careful then i was and open up the bracket i guess. but x2 on the blue loctite on the caliper pins. I used red on the caliper to frame bolts though as that what was on my 09 from the factory.

btw i bought the same setup from autoanything except i went with ceramic hawk pads and i didn't upgrade the lines. so far so good, although the rotors took a month to come in.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Indexing the rotors... Trying the rotor in each of the 5 possible orientations on the hub and measuring the runout at each location to find the spot with the smallest runout.

Done after cleaning the hub to bare smooth metal before installing the new discs.

The Factory service manual details the procedure, and if memory serves says only 0.002in of runout is acceptable on our application - any more than that at all 5 locations and you might need a new disc or hub to fix the problem.

Excessive runout is one of the leading causes of "warped rotors" developing in the first 1000-2000 miles of installing new brakes.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indexing the rotors... Trying the rotor in each of the 5 possible orientations on the hub and measuring the runout at each location to find the spot with the smallest runout.

Done after cleaning the hub to bare smooth metal before installing the new discs.

The Factory service manual details the procedure, and if memory serves says only 0.002in of runout is acceptable on our application - any more than that at all 5 locations and you might need a new disc or hub to fix the problem.

Excessive runout is one of the leading causes of "warped rotors" developing in the first 1000-2000 miles of installing new brakes.
GOOD TO KNOW! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

wow i've done a lot of brakes and never heard of that. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.