Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the P0008 code come up the other day and the GM dealer told me my timing chain was stretched and needed to be replaced at a cost of $2,800. The part that ticks me off the most is that this problem has occurred across 12 different models with the same engine as ours. Saturn, GMC and Cadillac owners received extended warranties, but we get the shaft.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with what would be a reasonable estimate to expect to have my TC replaced.

Thanks in advance.

·
CCG8 Member
67 Posts
Do some research and read up on what is involved in replacing the timing chain on an LS1. You might find you can do it on your own. Your timing chain being "loose" could also mean your tensioner is toast. They've been known to break apart. mjones73 provided you a really good link to help get visuals on what's involved in the repair. You can rent most specialty tools like pullers and such from a local auto parts store. Good luck. I definitely would not go to the stealership to get this done.

·
CCG8 Member
1,599 Posts
Do some research and read up on what is involved in replacing the timing chain on an LS1. You might find you can do it on your own. Your timing chain being "loose" could also mean your tensioner is toast. They've been known to break apart. mjones73 provided you a really good link to help get visuals on what's involved in the repair. You can rent most specialty tools like pullers and such from a local auto parts store. Good luck. I definitely would not go to the stealership to get this done.
He's got a V6, whole different beast then changing the timing chain on an LS1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone here have access to read TSBs? Supposedly TSB# 07-06-01-014 says timing chains are covered for Pontiacs and Saturns up to 10 yrs/100k. I haven't been able to find the TSB without paying a fee to read it.

·
CCG8 Member
67 Posts
He's got a V6, whole different beast then changing the timing chain on an LS1.
Oh gosh. I didn't even realize this was in the V6 tech thread. I almost forgot the V6's existed until you said something. I'm totally lost with those. Never worked on one. Best of luck to OP.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
In Canada the estimate for the chains is approximately $1500.

·
OGOC Member
2,602 Posts
HINT ...
Ask GM about the goodwill plan.
May help you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts