Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with the P0008 codes for months now. On the first go, my neighbors brother, a GM mechanic, helped me out and replaced my timing chains. He said that they were not bad, but changed them anyway. 3 weeks later I took a P0008 and a P0009 code. Went back and saw my GM guy and he hooked up the Teck2. All checked good and was properly aligned so he reset the computer. A week later I started having an erratic idle followed a week later by another P0008 and P0009 code. Took it back to him and everything still checked good. GM tech support told him to check the reluctor wheel on the crank. Anyone not familiar, the reluctor wheel is used for timing the engine. I would assume its like a crankshaft position sensor. Well sure enough, my reluctor wheel is turning. The only fix is to replace the crank. My Gm guy said he would hook me up with GM discounts and employee pricing. So I had 2 options, the first being a crank with a warranty of 12 month 12,000 miles. The other option for $800. more is a new engine with 100,000 mile warranty. So my 7 year old 78,000 mile car is getting another engine because of some stupid ass wheel on the crankshaft.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a similar issue
my chains were replaced even though they were fine, ended up being the camshaft actuators that were bad

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If the reluctor wheel is attached to the crank, why can't it be replaced instead of the whole crankshaft? Any details (anyone)?

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the reluctor wheel is attached to the crank, why can't it be replaced instead of the whole crankshaft? Any details (anyone)?
I've read up about it. The crankshaft is balanced with the reluctor wheel installed. You can't just put another wheel on because they claim it will throw the crank balance off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've read up about it. The crankshaft is balanced with the reluctor wheel installed. You can't just put another wheel on because they claim it will throw the crank balance off.
Im having the same issue here in Australia. I used a genuine holden kit and my code never went away, I really hope this isn't the issue!!

·
Capital City G8
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got my car back this past weekend. I now have a rebuilt engine and all is working great. Now I have to break it and drive reasonable for a couple thousand miles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts