Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
OGOC Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been reading about this P0009 code and everyone says its timing chains. Now when I run my code scanner on it. It comes up as a bank one code but that's all. Nothing actually about timing chains. Now the timing chains in my car were done only 30,000 or so ago very short time for timing chains to go. I spoke to the mechanic who did the work on the car before I bought it and he did chains and cam sensors at the same time problem is idk if he did all senders at the same time.

So I guess what I'm saying is he said there is other things that can cause this code. Any ideas on what they would be??

Also is it possible for this code to go away without being cleared?

Because I was driving today and on to torque box and I'm not sure if I accidentally cleared the code or if it did go away... guess ill find out soon it only took a day or two last time I cleared it for it to come back.

Also are their any better timing chains for these cars besides OEM? Just about fed up with OEM crap.

Thanks in advance!! :)

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
For starters, the service manual says the trouble is on "bank #2" (drivers side). It pretty much says that the chain controlling the cams on that cylinder head, has allowed the 2 cams to rotate to a position other than what the engine knows they should be in. Once the engine senses that they have exceeded the allowable amount, the ECM will record that P0009 code. P0008 is what would be set if it were the #1 bank doing this. After a reset has been performed, it will turn on that fault, when it see's the same problem on 2 consecutive drive cycles. It can also turn off the light *if* you have 3 consecutive drive cycles, where it did not see any problem. You might be in that good/bad pattern right now. It also says that the problem could be caused by a faulty chain tension-er vs the chain itself. But a teardown my be in order, if it gets worse. Other members have talked about a complete kit for doing the job, and they posted the brand name used. Maybe they will read about your condition, an post up what they know.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Is this a v6 model specific issue?

·
OGOC Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in other words a tear down is imminent....... Anyone know what this costs because I'm lower on money but I would rather not blow up my car either Is that possible to happen if I don't get it fixed fast enough?

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I have been reading about this P0009 code and everyone says its timing chains. Now when I run my code scanner on it. It comes up as a bank one code but that's all. Nothing actually about timing chains. Now the timing chains in my car were done only 30,000 or so ago very short time for timing chains to go. I spoke to the mechanic who did the work on the car before I bought it and he did chains and cam sensors at the same time problem is idk if he did all senders at the same time.

So I guess what I'm saying is he said there is other things that can cause this code. Any ideas on what they would be??

Also is it possible for this code to go away without being cleared?

Because I was driving today and on to torque box and I'm not sure if I accidentally cleared the code or if it did go away... guess ill find out soon it only took a day or two last time I cleared it for it to come back.

Also are their any better timing chains for these cars besides OEM? Just about fed up with OEM crap.

Thanks in advance!! :)
Hi mate, have been through all this chain stuff. The first thing to do is to confirm it is the chain and not a faulty sensor and you can do this by removing the two sensors and swapping them over (left to right & right to left) and then fire up the car and wait for it to code again. If it codes P0009 again you know its the chain. When doing the chain set you must do all three chains, all tensioners and nylon runners. You should also do the chain gear on the crank. It is also recommended to do the cam gears as well. Doing the cam gears is very costly I remember my quote was around $1200Aud. If the cam gears are ok visually reuse them. Bad oil by way of not servicing causes the tensioners to stay seated and not apply force to the chain causing wear. I bought a cam chain kit, 3 chains,tensioners,nylon runners,cam chain gear for the crank,all gaskets including valve cover for $700Aud and Toledo make the cam tool to hold the cams for $60 I think it was.
It's not an easy job, turning the cams by hand and putting the locks on to install the new chains can be tricky,by yourself anyway. You don't have to take out the radiator no matter what anyone tells you. I was quoted $3000 to have it done by holden, including the manual, chain kit, cam tools, bought 2x torque wrenches as well, oil & filter, new plugs(you have to take the manifold off to do plugs so you might as well do em) and some gasket sealant $1100. If you are in any way good with the spanners you should give it a go.

·
OGOC Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm good at cars that's no problem there. But I think the oil because dirty makes more sense for me. I am due for an oil change. And with 216,000 km on the car could be some sludge build up. I may run some seafoam through the oil before changing it to loosen up any crap and maybe just run some in with the new oil to lube everything even more. If it comes back it's timeline chains but ATM the code hasn't come back yet and I have been driving it for 2 days now with code gone. Last time it came back by now.

Oh and it was a P0008 not 9. But same diffrence in the end.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well I'm good at cars that's no problem there. But I think the oil because dirty makes more sense for me. I am due for an oil change. And with 216,000 km on the car could be some sludge build up. I may run some seafoam through the oil before changing it to loosen up any crap and maybe just run some in with the new oil to lube everything even more. If it comes back it's timeline chains but ATM the code hasn't come back yet and I have been driving it for 2 days now with code gone. Last time it came back by now.

Oh and it was a P0008 not 9. But same diffrence in the end.
Mine started throwing the code and then stopped, then again and stopped for a little while, then it never went away. I drove it till it was making the nastiest sound ever and then did the chains. If a chain lets go it's not pretty, my mate at the Holden workshop when I was there showed me an engine out of a Holden captiva which let go and man it was ugly. When you take off the timing cover coolant will get into the sump so flush a little oil through when you(if) you do the chains. Also make up 2x bolts (8mm) with the heads cut off so when you put the sealant on the timing cover you can use them as guides to slip the cover on, otherwise you will get sealant everywhere.

·
OGOC Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok good to know that's man!! I'm gona look into pricing and see maybe I'll do a weekend project with my brother and save some coin instead of taking it to a shop. I'll let ya guys know how it all pans out!

·
OGOC Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm finally fixed!! I ended up getting a local shop to do it. It cost 1200 and that got me chains, tentioners, guides, and a water pump and all seals. That was the best price I ever got.

The up side of it all being done is car runs amazing throttle is really responsive again. The car shifts a lot better now especially since I have the overkill tune. So all in all I took a long time to get the money but was so worth it. It's like a whole new car. If your doing that chains at 200k plus. Do the water pump since your in there.

So when you get this done make sure the shop is doing all the stuff I listed above. Not just the chains!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts