Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
a few weeks ago I was driving my g8 a little rough and the check engine light kept flashing and the display in the center of the console was flashing "Check engine." I finally managed to have time to take it to a shop and the P0302 popped up. I read a little bit on other vehicles with the same engine having the issue but nothing really about the G8. Is there something I need to check the connection of or replace a spark plug and/or coil so it wont do that again? I've also noticed it does it when it hits 4,000 RPM.
Thanks for your help.
PS: THIS IS FOR THE V6!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I remember reading about some members having a misfire code. When testing by swapping plugs and coils did not help, they found out that the cam lobe and lifter (for that cylinder) was starting to fail big time. It sounds like you're not into DIY maint, so if you have a shop friend that will help out, have him swap the coils on cylinder #2 and #4. Then go for a drive and see if the fault code changes to P0304. There have been coil failures in the past, and this *may* be your problem. Or it might be one of those rare times when a spark plug has started to fail.

Time out---- Ignore for now, I just now noticed your talking about the V6

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops I probably should've pointed that out in the post -.- my bad!
and I'm trying to be more DIY but engines aren't my strong point at the moment, I'm still in the basic learning stage

·
Premium Member
4,197 Posts
I'm going to say that the cylinder layout (going front to back) is passenger side 1-3-5 and drivers side 2-4-6. #1--- clear the current fault code. #2--- Swap the #2 cylinder ignition coil with whatever cylinder is the next easiest to work with. #3--- Go for a drive until the check engine light illuminates. #4--- See what fault code is now recorded. If it's now showing up on the cylinder the #2 coil was swapped too, you'll know you need a new coil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have access to AllData at work, I can use that to find where the coils would be on my V6, correct? I'll have my mechanic friend do it, just wanting to learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts