Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo, I was out playing around in GXP 715 and when I hit 5k rpm she started running rough and up popped the check engine light. Quick check showed P0304. Car idles fine but gets rough when trying to accelerate. My plan is to replace plugs and wires (the original ones are still in) and see if that fixes it. Any suggestions are welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And what plugs are you folks running? I’m planning on NGK TR5 and ACDelco wires.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Don't you just love that back one on the passenger side? Better than a Denise Austin workout, or yoga with goats. Now that I think about it, may want to do both before changing that one.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't you just love that back one on the passenger side? Better than a Denise Austin workout, or yoga with goats. Now that I think about it, may want to do both before changing that one.
I learned to do that one first, makes the rest look easy >:)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
DOD lifter?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
:wall:

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Why would a GXP have DOD? Not in an LS3. Why would you think about running cheap standard plugs?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Why would a GXP have DOD? Not in an LS3. Why would you think about running cheap standard plugs?
The joke went right over your head. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've just used the AC Delco plugs and wires. The original wires look a little nicer than the Delco spare wires but aren't really better: when removing them, I've managed to tear half of them apart: the clamp that holds onto the spark plug does that stronger than holding onto the wire itself. And no, you can't grab the end of the wire with a tool, that part is covered by the steel heatshield. The plug sockets on the wires have been coated inside with some kind of lubricant from the factory but after 10 years that lubricant seems to work more like a glue. So every time you decide to pull off a wire, make sure to have a spare to replace it.

But unless you pulled on the wires, they don't seem likely to fall apart on their own. So perhaps check the coils? (Or change the plugs and wires, and if that didn't help, check the coils). If I remember right, you can detect if a spark plug doesn't work by driving a timing light from its wire.

The right rear plug was a bit annoying but not THAT bad, nothing like the plugs on 4th-gen Camaro. It could definitely use a bit more room behind it but I can't remember anything specific, did I use a U-jointed wrench extension or just managed to insert a thin wrench head?

Here is an interesting thing: I've measured the gap on the plugs I took off, and it matches the gap on the new plugs as they come from the factory, about half the gap recommended by the manual. So why do they bother to specify the gap if they don't follow it form the factory?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plug gap. Service manual says .060 but I keep reading about folks using .040. What are you guys using?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Plug gap. Service manual says .060 but I keep reading about folks using .040. What are you guys using?

The factory plugs were more like 0.035. I've set the new ones to 0.060, and it seems to have made no difference whatsoever. So I guess it just doesn't matter much.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I found the problem

Attachments

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Indeed the spark plugs look worn and might very well remedy the problem. By the which spark plugs and wires did you decide to purchase?

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
AC Delco 41-162 plugs, and 748RR wires. Stock stuff. Runs mo betta now :grin2:
I'm surprised it ran at all with those plugs.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
GXPaycheck
Pontiac G8 Forum
A community for Pontiac G8 owners and enthusiasts, for all the information on your Pontiac G8 sedan, G8 GT, G8 V6, and G8 GXP. Discuss performance, tech, engine specs, body kits and more!
Full Forum Listing