Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer said the misfire is probably from a bad lifter. Not sure if this is even a dod lifter? Injector was okay. Master tech said the ticking is probably a lifter.

How long can I drive it like this and not do any more damage? Not sure when I can get this looked at. Trying to call a few shops to get a dod delete with a stock LS3 cam.

Any rough costs from a shop??

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
The more you run it, the more the damage. Stop now, a cam and lifters (if it's the problem). Keep running, getting closer to pulling the engine once all the shavings are scattered around. Keg is half empty on this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone I am new to the group but I have owned two g8gt's. I had one tapping before and I put a new oil filter and filled it with transmission fluid and poured the rest in the engine oil. It stopped tapping after a few minutes. I drove it like that for 2 or 300 miles. I then drained it and filled it with Mobil one full synthetic and a quart of Lucas and every oil change after that. I just ordered my second Dod delete kit Texas Speed. The first one was for my 08 Tahoe and the second one is for my G8

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If the tick is a lifter, it's the wheel or it's starting to rotate in the bucket. No elixir will cure it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That is true and the only repair for that is to disassemble the engine and replace the parts. It could also be a dirty lifter and that elixir will clean it. Never know until you try it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to a local shop and he says it quite possibly be a broken valve spring on the 8th cylinder. Easy enough to pull the valve cover and look. Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You have nothing to lose, its all money now.
If its a broken spring its a win, for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts