Pontiac G8 Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
If he didn’t do that would it make the engine run like ****? It runs really good when the engine is cold but as soon as it warms up it starts having acceleration issues

·
Registered
47 Posts
There’s the chains that rotate to valve cams and the main chain that makes everything rotate. They all have to be in perfect sink with each other. You can’t just replace any of the chains and expect things to be fine. If they are t in perfect sink; the car won’t operate correctly. If just one of the chains off sink, then car will miss fire, and the transmission relies on the sensors to shift at proper time and if any of the chains aren’t timed correctly then you will notice trans won’t shift correctly. I know its annoying.

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The car isn’t misfiring it just accelerates slow and has bad gas mileage. It accelerates good from 1-40 but after that it just accelerates terribly unless I punch it. It only has the p0420 code too. No p0008

·
Premium Member
6,417 Posts
What Kawizx9rr referenced in post#19 is mentioned in post #18 of the thread linked above.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
He’s saying he made sure all of the marks were on point and if it was the chain it would be throwing some type of camshaft code so he doesn’t think it’s the chains

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Why would it only throw a p0420 code and not a camshaft code? I haven’t gotten a chain code since the chains were done

·
Registered
287 Posts
A clogged cat will cause poor acceleration and a p0420. perhaps its as simple as that.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Consider the OP comments:
Runs great when cold.
WOT is good.

Both cases are open loop. - this may be a clue.

If cat is restrictive, it would be all the time.

I may be wrong - at least that's what I read.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Both cases are open loop. - this may be a clue.

If cat is restrictive, it would be all the time.
I think this is the right thought pattern. Be interesting to see the fuel trims on the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So if it was my cat it would be doing it all the time? I’m gonna have my brother bring home his computer from work and see if he can see the fuel trims on the car. If it is my timing chain would it still act sluggish when the engine is cold? I was gonna replace the cat this week but I don’t wanna do it if it’s gonna be another waste of money

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
One thing I did leave out is I tried changing the maf sensor and my car would run terrible when I put it on and it would stall out. So I had to put the old maf sensor back on cause my car wouldn’t stay running with the new maf sensor

21 - 35 of 35 Posts