Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a P0521 and P0523 code on my car last night and oil pressure would either read nothing or max. Had this same issue on my GMC Sierra last year (5.3) and it was the oil pressure switch.

I put in a new switch this morning and still couldn't get it to read any pressure. Just in case I got a bad switch, I went and bought another switch; same issue. What else could be causing the car to not read pressure? When I had this issue on my truck, as soon as I fired it up after putting the new switch in, it immediately showed oil pressure on the gauge.

Now here is the embarrassing part. The first switch I bought (Duralast), the inside of the connector wasn't keyed like the OEM sensor so when I was plugging it in, one of the pins was bending to the side and not making contact. I had the sensor out a few times trying to fix this. The new sensor I bought was a BWD from Advanced Auto and the pins were a lot more solid but still not keyed like the OEM. After the first time in and not getting a pressure reading in the car, I pulled the sensor out to make sure the pins on it weren't shifting. I got distracted by a phone call that I was on for a little while, then came back to the car. For whatever reason, I thought I had put the switch back in so I hopped in the car and fired it over. It ran for MAYBE 2-3 seconds. As soon as it fired over and the gauge came on, it clicked in my head that I never put the sensor back in and turned the car off. In that short amount of time, the car puked about 2 quarts of oil all over my driveway and shot it all over the intake, trans, exhaust and everywhere else. :slap::damnyou:

Thankfully the car was stone cold and didn't catch fire from oil dripping on to the exhaust. Now I get to spend the afternoon under the car with brake cleaner making sure I get it all off of everything so I don't burn the car down. On the bright side. I know the car has oil pressure, lol. I don't appear to have a clogged valley lifter screen either based on the sheer amount of oil it puked up.

·
Premium Member
4,380 Posts
From my looking around, 08 an 09 engines both use the same oil pressure switch/sensor. My read is that both years use the AC Delco sensor with a GM P/N of 12616646 or AC Delco P/N of D1846A. Realistically you would think any aftermarket switch/sensor that cross references over to those GM or AC Delco P/N's, would be a match. But if that is proving out to be not so, maybe you'll have to buy that AC Delco brand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my looking around, 08 an 09 engines both use the same oil pressure switch/sensor. My read is that both years use the AC Delco sensor with a GM P/N of 12616646 or AC Delco P/N of D1846A. Realistically you would think any aftermarket switch/sensor that cross references over to those GM or AC Delco P/N's, would be a match. But if that is proving out to be not so, maybe you'll have to buy that AC Delco brand.
It's not that is isn't a match, the interior of the connector just isn't as defined as the OEM sensor. It looks like they designed it to be a universal fit maybe? This made plugging it in a real challenge however since there was a good bit of play. That's why the 3rd prong on the bottom kept bending to the side when I would try to plug it in.

OEM

Duralast (interior of BWD sensor was the same)

·
Registered
208 Posts
FWIW I tried swapping a sensor when I had a P0521 and the one that arrived was for late 09 models... The electrical connection was a no-go with my early 09 production model. There is apparently two different ones used on our cars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I let the car sit overnight with the batt unhooked. That seemed to do the trick as now it's registering 3+ bars on the gauge like before and no CEL. Hopefully it was just the sensor and won't come back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh yeah, ignore my pics above. Found that the "keyed" portion was actually part of the connector that stayed behind in the oem sensor. The interior of the sensors were identical.

·
Registered
2009 MGM
42 Posts
I see this is an old thread but wanted to share that I too threw the same codes and replaced the oil pressure sensor. I can’t believe how much better it runs! I hadn’t realized just how ‘off’ it was running. Everything is improved. Idle and acceleration are markedly better.

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts
Did you happen to change the oil pressure (sensor) filter as well?

·
Registered
2009 MGM
42 Posts
You know, I pressed my local parts counter lady and she claimed she couldn’t even find it. I couldn’t find a part number and so I was no help either. So, the answer is, no.

I have a regular’09. Not a 9.5

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,109 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts