Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Pontiac G8 aka Karma
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting this code recently and was wondering where to start. I'm assuming it's a O2 sensor or possibly maf? Anyone ever get this code before?

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
What's the condition of the ignition coils and spark plugs as in are they original? Check for both exhaust and vacuum leaks. Can check/test the oxygen sensor as well.

Reactions: rockinlespaul

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Start with cleaning the MAF sensor and swapping the O2 sensors. If the code goes to the other bank, it’s the O2 sensors, how many miles are on them? Original MAF?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Original everything but the spark plugs I believe. I'll start with cleaning the maf. Thanks Drew.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
What is the vehicle's current mileage?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
At 105,000 miles may want to consider installing a fresh set of spark plugs and perhaps replace both intake manifold gaskets since they can be compromised while removing. Don't recall reading about the P2190 code very often on the G8 forum.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At 105,000 miles may want to consider installing a fresh set of spark plugs and perhaps replace both intake manifold gaskets since they can be compromised while removing. Don't recall reading about the P2190 code very often on the G8 forum.
New plugs and intake gaskets two summers ago @ 95K. Did that before I got her tuned.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cleaned the maf and also cleaned the throttle body yesterday. It was all good but after pulling in to work this morning it came back on so it must be the O2 sensor. I've been slammed at work so hopefully I can get it done by the weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Try swapping the oxygen sensors as suggested above. If it's found to be defective, would replace the corresponding sensor on the other bank as well.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Installed 2 new Bosch upstream O2 sensors at lunchtime today and when I went to leave for the day the cel came on again. Argh!!!

Got home and hooked up my scanner and now I'm getting a P0050 code. HO2S Heater Control Circuits bank 2 sensor 1.

Cleared it and went back in the house to relax. Any ideas anyone? Guess it's time to pull out the manuals...

·
Premium Member
4,592 Posts
If you supplied the H02 sensors (or a shop got an installed them), its saying that the ECM is detecting a heater malfunction at that position. Short of meter reading to verify that the power an ground wires at that sensor connector are not the cause, it reads like you need to get yet another sensor an replace it again. You could have received 1 of the 2 new units with a faulty internal heater.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had our shop get them from O'Reilly's I believe and I changed them myself. See that's why I wanted Acdelco or GM. Both were Bosch. Both looked fine but one box was a little beat up compared to the other. Argh....

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
432 Posts
Switch sides see if it follows?

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Am thinking there are two different upstream oxygen sensors for the G8 V6. Are the old and new connector colors (black/gray) identical?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes

·
Premium Member
7,679 Posts
Very well. Am relatively sure Bosch manufactured at least some if not all of the original equipment manufacturer upstream oxygen sensors on the G8 V6.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One of the new O2 sensors was bad so I got another one. All better now. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Reactions: BAS G8

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you supplied the H02 sensors (or a shop got an installed them), its saying that the ECM is detecting a heater malfunction at that position. Short of meter reading to verify that the power an ground wires at that sensor connector are not the cause, it reads like you need to get yet another sensor an replace it again. You could have received 1 of the 2 new units with a faulty internal heater.
Looks like that's exactly what the problem was. Muchos gracias...

·
Registered
2009 G8 GT
432 Posts
Good deal.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts