Pontiac G8 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm in the market for (potentially) some pacesetter headers. I want the ceramic coating. My concern - from some of the reading I've done it seems that the pacesetter headers leak between the collector and connection pipe. Some guys have said the only way to fix is to weld the connection pipe on.

That is all well and good, because I weld, but my concern is that the weld will now not have the ceramic coat on it, and has the potential to corrode faster.

So I guess my questions are

1. If you have pacesetters and did NOT weld the connection pipe in, does it leak?

2. If you DID weld the connection pipe in, does the area around and at the weld seem to be corroding?

Maybe I'm thinking of the whole thing wrong. Shed some light if you can!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I used the connection pipes an have a slight leak. Nothing serious though, the headers fit great though. The connection pipes do shove the whole system back 1-2 inches...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the connection pipes an have a slight leak. Nothing serious though, the headers fit great though. The connection pipes do shove the whole system back 1-2 inches...
Really? wow, so do your tips protrude past the bumper??

·
Registered
156 Posts
I didn't use the connection pipe. I had V-bands welded on and then got them coated locally. They look great and the fit was great as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine leak and am planning to weld them. I am sure some high temp paint will take care of the corrosion issue

·
Registered
590 Posts
I put high temp rtv on mine before sliding/clamping them together. No leaks after a year.

Shaun

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Most of the time "you get what you pay for" rings true, and it can be said for headers. I wouldn't buy pace setter, they lay salt in Deleware...coated or not, the pacesetters hang low and can easily get scraped up, corrosion will begun quickly after that happens.

You have a car that (when new) was $33,000 give or take...and you wanna throw on some crap steel headers? The literal groundwork of all future mods? Think about it.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I understand what your saying, but some of us bought the cars used and don't have the funds to buy the best of the best. I payed $250 for my pacesetters, that leaves a lot of money for other mods. Besides, some of the most impressive dd cars on here are running pacetters.

Shaun

BTW, I have a "cheap" spectre cai as well. :D

·
Registered
460 Posts
Very minimum fittment issues up top (spark plugs touching) nothing that msd wires cant fix, didnt notice any push out of my exhaust or leaking if there is any. However the negative on paceseeters is there coating. If i could re-do mine i would get the non coated ones and pay a professional company to coat them. My coating underneath is already gone and surface rust is there. From the engine bay it looks good, underneath looks horrible.

*thats about a year and half of michigan weather abuse*

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Stupid question maybe? Has anyone ever tried to contact Pacesetter directly about their leaking connector pipes and the 1-2 inch push back problem? Based on their website they have a Phoenix AZ location listed as a point of contact. It would seem to be an easy fix and perhaps a member in the area could drive up to their facility and provide them with an actual G8 to better their product. I dunno, just a thought?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Stupid question maybe? Has anyone ever tried to contact Pacesetter directly about their leaking connector pipes and the 1-2 inch push back problem? Based on their website they have a Phoenix AZ location listed as a point of contact. It would seem to be an easy fix and perhaps a member in the area could drive up to their facility and provide them with an actual G8 to better their product. I dunno, just a thought?
It's not stupid question, but I doubt they'd be willing to change their design for a car that hasn't been produced in 4 years. Unless they see a lot of sales to Holden cars (assuming they're the same model header). The problem is, they're the cheapest header on the market, so a redesign would likely drive up the price closer to a competitor's. I'm sure there are a few people who used the clamps and got lucky without any leaks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
I understand what your saying, but some of us bought the cars used and don't have the funds to buy the best of the best. I payed $250 for my pacesetters, that leaves a lot of money for other mods. Besides, some of the most impressive dd cars on here are running pacetters.

Shaun

BTW, I have a "cheap" spectre cai as well. :D
Don't take offense - they "get the job done" and if I was on a budget and lived in a dryer/warmer/less salty/snowy climate I'd consider them, but look at this thread: clearance issues, fitment issues, leaking issues AND they'll rust if given the chance. For a a few hundred bucks more and/or a little more time saving up, you avoid all of those negative issues and have an exhaust system for "life"

I didn't put my headers on until my car was 3.5 years old and had nearly 100,000 miles, I could have rushed and gotten pacesetters right away when I bought it, but I figured I'd do 1 mod at a time working up to it and do maintenance mods like brakes/suspension as they came up and, guess what? If I did put pacesetters on when I first bought it they'd have rusted through by now lol!

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i was thinking of buying the pacesetter headers without the coating and just wrapping them, i just dont know if thats a good idea.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I didn't want this to turn to a debate of pacesetters vs ________. We all know they are not top quality. But there are some circumstances where they may be adequate.

My car is a fair weather car, it doesn't get driven in snow or salty roads or even rain really.

Really my current budget "should" be zero, as I'm looking to buy a house and "should" be saving every penny. However, if I find a sweet deal on a set of headers...I'd love to throw them on!

To everyone suggesting against pacesetters, well, how about you give me your headers? :)

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
well i was thinking of buying the pacesetter headers without the coating and just wrapping them, i just dont know if thats a good idea.
THAT is absolutely not a good idea. Either have them ceramic coated or use some high temp spray paint like they use for grills. The wrap retains moisture and will eat right through 'em

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Dont listen to the regulars on here that bash everything everyone else does. Pacesetters are 100% fine. My buddy's LT1 SS Camaro is still running them from 96. And he drives it year round in Michigan. Zero issues from 96 till now. The factory uses NON coated bare iron manifolds and they seem to last just fine. You will be fine running coated pacesetters. Then take the extra money you save and put it towards your house if that's what you want to do. Or towards the tune that will be needed with long tubes.

Sent from my fresh lubed iPhone

1 - 20 of 29 Posts