Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Pacesetter longtube headers and solo cat back exhaust

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  JAM 
#1 ·
I just picked up some pacesetter longtube headers and in their description it says the cats will need to be moved and I was just wondering how far back do they push the cats ? Will the 02 sensors behind the catalytic converters need to be relocated as well?

#6 ·
I've got a 2009.5 so the dipstick was a bitch. Tried bending the tube, f'd it up and had to plug the hole until the new one arrived. Installation required a spacer and a helper on top as I installed it under the car.

The steering linkage was not a problem - put a little grease on it and some kitchen plastic wrap on the header and it slipped right through without having to disconnect the steering or marking up the header. Some recommend removing the plugs prior to installation to prevent mishap - I didn't and luckily didn't nick any causing misfires.

You'll need on 02 extender for the driver side oxygen sensor - the wiring for that from Pacesetter was crap, as were the header gaskets - re-use your originals.

I had to get a pipe expander to enlarge these so the headers would slip fit them, then bolt up to the Solo cat back pipes For 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 Exhaust Pipe Pacesetter 43116DD 6.0L V8 GT | eBay. Luckily, they came with the headers at the time - overpriced IMO.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to trim about 2 inches from the passenger side collector for fit - they may fit better now, but I doubt it. Even so, the tips protruded almost 2" on each side at the rear, but I liked the look - a lot!

It's been quite a while since I installed them, I posted my experiences in other's threads at the time here or on the other site, so a search may reveal additional info that I may have forgotten. I was elated at the performance results then, and now - get compliments on how it sounds all of the time. The only post installation problem that I have experienced is the rusting and flaking of the coating on the bottom of the collectors, so look into putting something on them to attempt to address that.

Happy Wrenching,

JAM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.