Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally ordered my headers a couple weeks ago. They came in last wed. I'm just now getting around to installing them. Probably gonna take me a little while since this is my first time and with my work schedule being all over. I do have a couple questions for people with pacesetters. I have read through almost all the threads about pacesetters and nobody said anything about these two questions.

1. Did the bolts that came with your headers have a smaller head than the factory ones?
2. Where the bolts that held your factory manifold and cats to the rest of the exhaust welded?

Below are some pics

Unpackaged

prepped on jackstands

Question pictures

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. not sure, but I used the new ones with no issues
2. yes the bolt heads were tacked just like your (in the pic). Just pic up some new bolts, nuts, and washers from your local hardware store (<$5) and be done.
3. Please dont put those factory cats back on...
I figured about getting new bolts. No cats. Did you use the connection pieces with the two bolts? You welded your connection adapters to the headers right? With welding did it push your exhaust back?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess i'll just see what happens whether or not I use the connection pieces

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the old ones out this morning. Actually had my wife help me guide them out. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the new ones in or at least started and finish up Sat. looking forward to starting it up.

·
Registered
267 Posts
i cleaned up and re used the factory manifold bolts.
So you didnt use the supplied bolts that came with the pacesetters, but instead re used the stock bolts? Why

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you didnt use the supplied bolts that came with the pacesetters, but instead re used the stock bolts? Why
The heads on my new bolts are smaller than the stock ones(why I had the question). Also, I thought I saw that some people were saying that the factory bolts were to long.

·
Registered
267 Posts
So the bolts that came with the pacesetters are garbage.. and u can reuse the stock bolts without any problems sorry for ?? Trying to prepare for my install, did u use any loctite

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the bolts that came with the pacesetters are garbage.. and u can reuse the stock bolts without any problems sorry for ?? Trying to prepare for my install, did u use any loctite
I'm not saying that they are garage just that the heads were smaller. I plan on using the new bolts that came with the headers. I was going to use anti sieze on the bolts.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'm not saying that they are garage just that the heads were smaller. I plan on using the new bolts that came with the headers. I was going to use anti sieze on the bolts.
We re used factory, because many people have, and they have the larger head. I cleaned up and painted heads of factory bolts and used blue thread lock when installing. I just did not feel right using smaller head bolts, but I am sure they are fine. I also bought new GM gaskets, because I think they are best and did not want to use Pacesetter cork type gaskets.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
FWIW, if doing the install by yourself, couple of studs make hanging the gasket and header much easier.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can someone talk a picture of how their headers connect to the rest of the exhaust? If I weld the connection piece to the header do I still have to use the connection tube? Sorry for asking so many questions.

·
****cray
2,199 Posts
well, 1st, i didnt buy paceshetters. the bolts and gaskets that come with kooks headers are crap, so i re used factory bolts and bout gm manifold gaskets.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can someone talk a picture of how their headers connect to the rest of the exhaust? If I weld the connection piece to the header do I still have to use the connection tube? Sorry for asking so many questions.
I don't understand the question. One thing you might try, I am thinking about trying it on mine.

Once installed the headers force the rest of the exhaust back a couple inches. It drives me crazy because the tips look like crap and the hangers don't line up the best.

I am planning to shorten the collector two inches with a sawzall and reinstalling. Might also need to take a couple inches off the connection pipe as well and then weld them on to the header....

Eventually that's my plan anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
by connection tube do you mean the clamp?? If so you dont need the clamp when you weld the connection pieces onto the headers

·
Registered
427 Posts
Troy it looks like you did what I plan to do?is your exhaust now in the stock location instead of being pushed back? Did you cut the header or just the connection piece

1 - 20 of 47 Posts