Pontiac G8 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought black painted and had coated locally, satin silver 1300 degree ceramic coat, turned out pretty well.

Just went ahead and welded connection pipes on, I didnt want to deal with it on the car, or any leaks.

Install was pretty straightforward, with a lot of help from posts on here.
We did unhook bottom half of steering shaft as it was tight, and I did not want to bang up headers too much. Exhaust was pushed out about half inch is all since I already have X-pipe welded in. Pulled dipstick and managed to get it back in correct after only about 5 minutes, and used aluminum spacer to mount. All in all it took 4-5 hours with jacks stands in driveway with some welding and painting in between. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats and enjoy!
Watch the plug wires, I wrapped my headers and put sleeves on the wires.
And give your engine a little wipe down with a wet rag ;)
Thanks!
I upgraded to JBL wires, so shouldnt have any issues. Yes she is dirty, just came out of 6 months in storage only to get $3500 in hail damage, so I wanted to get install done before body shop and detail.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Good call on welding the collectors on. The band clamps that are included with the PaceSetters are a joke.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Was there a certain way to weld them so they line up? Did your bolts that you got with your headers have smaller heads than the factory bolts?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was there a certain way to weld them so they line up? Did your bolts that you got with your headers have smaller heads than the factory bolts?
We re used factory bolts, as mine did not come with new ones. The exhaust flange one exhaust side spins, so you can really weld any way you want. We angled ours just so they would not rub on the tunnel tin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good call on welding the collectors on. The band clamps that are included with the PaceSetters are a joke.
My pacesetters i just got dont have band clamps and they came with bolts and gaskets hhmm thats wierd

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did the same with mine but I cut about an inch off the header so it didn't push the exhaust back, wish I would've welded them off the car, got a small leak on the top. There's no room to get my mig up there, plan on dropping them this weekend and getting a good bead on the top

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
524 Posts
Since you welded your connection pipes did it push the exhaust back at all?

·
Registered
524 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine don't stick out that far, less than an inch, but I had X pipe welded in already. I am going to do different axle backs soon, so I will adjust later.

·
Registered
524 Posts
So did you use the connection piece with the two bolts?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I bought connection pieces and welded them on and bolted to factory exhaust. I wasn't sure who was doing install when I bought them, so I had initially planned on using clamps short term.

I got my connections for $50, which is too much for what they are. Hell now they are $70 most places, so your better off just having them headers welded to exhaust, then your exhaust won't push out either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts