Pontiac G8 Forum banner

Pacesetters with obx mids?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ewinder68 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals I picked up a used obx mid pipe section to replace my stock mid section. Has anybody tried this I'm wandering what its gonna take to connect the pacesetters to the obx. I'm not sure if pacesetter connectors will even come close to bolting up? I saw headman and others have a 3" ball socket flange kit that work? I'm trying to avoid buying looks mid pipe connections. They're spendy and I'm to keep this on a budget. Thanks

#3 ·
Thanks I might do that but already have the headers and mid pipe on the way. Guess i could sell it if need be if I'm not really going to gain much over the stock mid pipes.

#4 ·
From what I recall, pacesetters hooks up to stock exhaust, and is mild steel. OBX is a clone of the Kooks setup, so the mids hook up further rearward than the pacesetters will reach. You'll end up having an exhaust shop to do some work. Would have been more economical to pick up a set of used headers from head back to axlebacks.

#6 ·
I feel like you're overthinking it. If you already ordered the parts, install headers, bolt up the factory midpipe, schedule an appointment with an exhaust shop and tell them you will need some extension pipes made from your midpipe to headers, one side needs a socket flange and the other side is slip fit. You might have to drop another $200 or so but if the shop is using mild steel to connect them, i would walk away if they try to charge you a lot more. Obviously, stainless will be more expensive. Custom exhaust work is not "doing it the wrong way" as some may try to make you believe. I always post up on Facebook to a local car enthusiast group and ask for recommendations on a good shop.

Reactions: lastcall190
#7 ·
Ive already for the headers on just wanting to get rid of the stock exhaust restrictions. I think when the mid pipes get here I'll measure them and measure the stock mid pipes and see what the difference is. Maybe I can get a slip fit adapter long enough and use the pacesetter clamps still.

#8 ·
I agree with JAYDBPR. If you have access to a half decent exhaust shop, use it. I had the the flanges on my Kooks long tubes changed from ball flange to flat flanges so that they could be bolted to a different catback. Also had all of the slip joints on the catback tig welded to keep it stiff like factory and prevent any leaks. Flex joints were added after the headers to keep it from cracking.

Point is... I fought with my exhaust for months on 2 different setups... leaks, rattles, CELs for O2 sensors because of the leaks. Finally finding a good shop who could make it fit perfectly was worth every penny.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.